Summing up data from various worksheets

  1. #1

    Summing up data from various worksheets

    I have daily data all on different worksheets (31 in total) and I would like to add up all of the data in these worksheets in a monthly compilation

    I have so far been using the =sum('jan. 1'!B6, 'jan. 2'!B6 ... etc.) which although is effective is very time consuming

    is there an easier way to sum up all of the b6 cells without entering them individually?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    Mark, try this:
    http://www.officearticles.com/excel/...worksheets.htm
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    "mark_vi_" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    Add two worksheets--one to the far right of all of the worksheets to be summed
    and one to the far left of worksheets to be summed.

    Then put your summary worksheet outside that "sandwich" of sheets.

    Call one worksheet start and the other End.

    Then on the summary sheet:

    =sum(start:end!b6)

  4. #4

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    you're guilty of misusing Microsoft Excel. Excel is not a
    mini-datawarehouse-- Access is.

    start usign Access; it is a lot more powerful for this type of thing

    -Aaron

  5. #5
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    I have to disagree, Aaron. There's lots of companies out there not running
    the Pro version of MS Office. Summing multiple sheets has been going on for
    many years and this is far from misusing Excel. And I'm a real proponent of
    "use the right freaking software for the job". Unfortunately, it would take
    most people an hour what it takes them a minute to do in Excel. And,
    unfortunately, you can't tell their boss's that it's often worth the price
    and time.
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

  6. #6
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    <[email protected]> wrote...
    >you're guilty of misusing Microsoft Excel. Excel is not a
    >mini-datawarehouse-- Access is.

    Odd. Using a documented feature is misuse!?

    Summing across worksheets has been in Excel since 1993 (version 4), major
    DOS spreadsheets since 1989 (Lotus 123 Release 3), less well-known
    spreadsheets since the mid 1980s. Implicit aggregation across workbook files
    (Data > Consolidate in recent versions) has been in Excel since the
    beginning.

    You have an irrational antipathy towards Excel, and irrationality may make
    arguments longer, but it doesn't convince anyone.

  7. #7

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    Excel is a disease.

    Stop making the same 'report' week in and week out-- develop a real
    answer to your needs..

    I reccomend that you stop using Excel for everything and start using
    Access and/or SQL Server

  8. #8
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    Aaron, I hope you're kidding.
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

  9. #9
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    [email protected] wrote...
    >Stop making the same 'report' week in and week out-- develop a real
    >answer to your needs..
    >
    >I reccomend that you stop using Excel for everything and start using
    >Access and/or SQL Server

    Because you don't understand, your recommendations are worthless.

  10. #10
    Andy Wiggins
    Guest

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    This file might be a help:
    http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/consol.zip
    It's in the "Accountants" section on page:
    http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm

    The "Bread-Roll" consolidation method - great for accountants. See how
    simple it is to consolidate any combination of your organisation's accounts.
    (No VBA used)

    --
    Andy Wiggins FCCA
    www.BygSoftware.com

  11. #11
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    Mark

    With your Grand Total sheet first in workbook.

    In a cell enter =SUM('jan. 1:jan. 2'!B6)

    Alternative, which most prefer and lends itself to flexibility in naming,
    deleting and moving sheets.

    Insert a dummy sheet to the right of the Grand Total sheet. Name it Start

    Insert a dummy sheet at end of sheets. Name it End.

    In Grand Total sheet enter =SUM(Start:End!B6)

    When inserting new sheets make sure they are inserted between Start and End
    sheets.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  12. #12

    Re: Summing up data from various worksheets

    why would i be kidding?

    you guys MAKE THE SAME SPREADSHEET WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT!!

    i mean-- doesnt anyone else see the inefficiency of this?

    make something database-driven so that you can print reports in a bunch
    of different layouts without emailing around large 100mb spreadsheets;
    and without having multiple copies of your data

    i mean-- excel CAN'T report on data as well as Access can.

  13. #13
    Forum Contributor
    Somewhere....out there.....
    Aaron,

    Both last year and this year, you are showing you can't think as well as a human can.