Insert rows in linked table that are added to secondary table

  1. #1
    Ida LaValley
    Guest

    Insert rows in linked table that are added to secondary table

    I am trying to work with linked tables so that I only have to type data once
    and then other sheets automatically update. If I change existing data, both
    tables update. The problem comes in when I try to add data. For example, I
    need to add row 6 to a table with 9 items existing. When I add row 6 to the
    source table, the secondary table updates the already existing field as far
    as where they are, but will not add in row 6. HELP!!!!!

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Insert rows in linked table that are added to secondary table

    Say your data was on Sheet1, from A1 to A9.

    Enter this formula in the other sheet, and copy down *more* rows (say to
    A15) then you presently have data in, to prepare beforehand for the addition
    of extra rows.

    =INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!A"&ROWS($1:1))

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Insert rows in linked table that are added to secondary table

    Actually, a non-volatile function might be better:

    =INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,ROWS($1:1))

    And copy down.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Netherlands
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

    Re: Insert rows in linked table that are added to secondary table

    This thread has helped me with my initial problem of the 'target' table not updating when adding new rows to the 'source' table.
    But in the 'target' table I have data in colums next to the source data which is entered manually and is related to the data from the specific row of the 'source' table.
    When a new row is entered in the 'source' table the colums with the INDEX formula update to add the new row but the other colums do not update and the data is mismatched.
    Is it possible to have the INDEX function add 'blank' fields to the 'target' table for the rest of the row?

  5. #5
    Forum Expert Pepe Le Mokko's Avatar
    Belgium
    MS-Off Ver
    O365 v 2402
    Posts
    13,445

    Re: Insert rows in linked table that are added to secondary table

    Administrative Note:

    We are happy to help, however whilst you feel your request is similar to this thread, experience has shown that things soon get confusing when answers refer to particular cells/ranges/sheets which are unique to your post and not relevant to the original.

    Please see Forum Rule #4 about hijacking and start a new thread for your query.

    If you are not familiar with how to start a new thread see the FAQ: How to start a new thread