HELP! DATE FORMATTING CRISIS!

  1. #1
    V. Hatherley
    Guest

    HELP! DATE FORMATTING CRISIS!

    I have an enormous spreadsheet with many dates. I need to insert the sheet
    into another workbook. When I copy it, however, all of the dates get funked
    up in the destination workbook: "3/6/07," for example, morphs horribly into
    "3/5/03". I've checked the serial numbers for the same dates in the original
    workbook and the new workbook, and they're the same: as an unformatted
    number, 3/5/03 shows itself to be 37685, which is the serial number for the
    date in the source workbook before the grotesque metamorphosis.(3/6/07).

    Needless to say, this is all aboslutely awful. I suspect the destination
    workbook is simply corrupt, because when I copy sample dates from the
    original source workbook into a fresh one, they appear just fine. Still, I
    need to know, is there anything that might be done to rescue the
    possibly-corrupt workbook? Much workj has gone into it that simply copying
    all sheets into a new workbook makes impractical.

    Please, please help!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Excel has two date settings. Looks like your source workbook uses the 1904 date system, whilst the second uses the default 1900 date system. Change one by using

    Tools > Options > Calculation and checking/unchecking as necessary "1904 date system"

  3. #3
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: HELP! DATE FORMATTING CRISIS!

    V. Hatherley wrote:
    > I have an enormous spreadsheet with many dates. I need to insert the
    > sheet into another workbook. When I copy it, however, all of the
    > dates get funked up in the destination workbook: "3/6/07," for
    > example, morphs horribly into "3/5/03". I've checked the serial
    > numbers for the same dates in the original workbook and the new
    > workbook, and they're the same: as an unformatted number, 3/5/03
    > shows itself to be 37685, which is the serial number for the date in
    > the source workbook before the grotesque metamorphosis.(3/6/07).
    >
    > Needless to say, this is all aboslutely awful. I suspect the
    > destination workbook is simply corrupt, because when I copy sample
    > dates from the original source workbook into a fresh one, they appear
    > just fine. Still, I need to know, is there anything that might be
    > done to rescue the possibly-corrupt workbook? Much workj has gone
    > into it that simply copying all sheets into a new workbook makes
    > impractical.
    >
    > Please, please help!

    I think the destination workbook has a different sysstem of dates...

    Before copying the sheet to destination workbook, in destination workbook
    try this:

    Menu Tools, Options, select Calculation tab In Workbook Opsions section
    uncheck "Date System 1904" (or something like this...)

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menus, options and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  4. #4
    V. Hatherley
    Guest

    Re: HELP! DATE FORMATTING CRISIS!

    Oh, my God! That did it! The source workbook uses the 1904 dates system, and
    I never even thought to check! Franz, you're the best--thanks! You've saved
    me from horrible, horrible, pain!