How to print all text in a cell? - It cuts off the last few lines.

  1. #1
    Sgutsell
    Guest

    How to print all text in a cell? - It cuts off the last few lines.

    When printing a matrix with long text write-ups - The last few lines of a
    cell will be cut off. Is there a way to extend the parameters of a cell to
    not do this? Or - are there other solutions?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    your question is not clear. perhaps you need to fix the print area. try following
    click on cell or cells with long text in it, right click > Format Cells... > on Alignmen tab, check the option Wrap text. this will adjust your text within a cell.
    select the range you want to print, go to File menu > Print Area > Set Print Area.
    now take a look at print preview to see what is going to print.

    hope this would help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgutsell
    When printing a matrix with long text write-ups - The last few lines of a
    cell will be cut off. Is there a way to extend the parameters of a cell to
    not do this? Or - are there other solutions?
    Last edited by starguy; 08-22-2006 at 10:46 AM.

  3. #3
    Sgutsell
    Guest

    Re: How to print all text in a cell? - It cuts off the last few li

    Sorry I wasn't clear. I've performed the below. The cell with 2 long
    paragraphs in it is wrapped and I've widened the column. The last 10 lines
    of the second paragraph are cut off at the end. The do not print either. It
    is as if the cell has a limited number of characters it can display; however,
    when I double click ont he cell the formula box contains all of the text?.?

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to print all text in a cell? - It cuts off the last few lines.

    Perhaps it quits appearing because you have reached the cell limit for
    viewable/printable characters.

    Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
    32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

    However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
    be printed"

    To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
    spots, about every 100 characters..

    The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

    How far is not really known. Just experiment.

    .........From Dave Peterson..........

    I put this formula in A1:
    ="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

    And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
    characters to print ok.

    .........End Dave P.................

    Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
    processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:10:03 -0700, Sgutsell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When printing a matrix with long text write-ups - The last few lines of a
    >cell will be cut off. Is there a way to extend the parameters of a cell to
    >not do this? Or - are there other solutions?

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to print all text in a cell? - It cuts off the last few li

    See answer at the other section of this thread.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP