Translate formula to english

  1. #1
    Mendz5
    Guest

    Translate formula to english

    I have a spreadsheet with many complex formulas. Is there a way to translate
    those formulas into laymens terms?

    Thanks,

    Mendz

  2. #2
    Use named ranges for the formula elements. If you already have your formulas, create the named ranges then highlight the area where your formulas are and choose apply. If you haven't created the formulas yet, create the named ranges and use your mouse to click on the cells rather than typing the cell address.

  3. #3
    Mendz5
    Guest

    Re: Translate formula to english

    Chris,

    I highlighted 3 sells and named them "Purchasing", but I don't see where I
    can apply that name to formula in the fourth cell.

    Sorry, but I'm a novice spreadsheet user, at best.

    Thanks,

    Mendz

  4. #4
    I'm sorry, I left work after I responded.

    To define a name you go to the Insert|Name|Define menu.

    To apply these names to existing formula you would go to Insert|Name|Apply with the cells that contain your formula highlighted.

    In your example you would highlight the fourth cell and go to Insert|Name|Apply. For instance, If B1:B3 equal purchase prices and your formula in B4 is =sum(B1:B3), you would highlight B1:B3, go to insert|Name|Define call it purchasing. Then highlight B4 and go to Insert|Name|Apply. The formula in B4 would change to =Sum(Purchasing).

    Another way to do this is to enable excel to use row and column headings in formula. I think you do this through the options tab. I just read about that yesterday and frankly I've never used it so I'll let somebody else take that one.
    Last edited by Chris Berry; 08-23-2006 at 09:46 AM.

  5. #5
    Forum Expert oldchippy's Avatar
    Worcester, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007 (Home)
    Posts
    7,097

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Mendz5
    I have a spreadsheet with many complex formulas. Is there a way to translate
    those formulas into laymens terms?

    Thanks,

    Mendz
    Hi Mendz5,

    Take a look at this link, it may explain things a bit better

    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames02.html

    oldchippy