pull downs and variables

  1. #1

    Question pull downs and variables

    I wish to have a pull down menu containing 15 choices each of which would cause a given groups of cells to display a list of pre-arranged text.

    Ex: choose "A" from pulldown in (C2); and (D16) through (D35) would display a custom list.... but if you choose "B" from the pulldown, a seperate list would appear instead...

    Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: pull downs and variables

    Hi

    Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site for help on this topic

    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: pull downs and variables

    The way to do this is as follows

    The lists to use in D16:D35 should be entered as list in separate ranges,
    and all named using a naming convention, such as List1, List2, List3, or say
    ListEurope,ListAsia, ListAFrica, etc., where the 1,2,3 or Europe, Asia,
    Africa are the values that will be selectable in the C2 list.

    Then in DV in D16:D35, set the DV to an allow type of 'List', and use a
    formula of

    =INDIRECT("List"&C2)

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4

    Thumbs up Thank you for your help

    Hi again,
    I know it's been ages since you posted that reply to my question, but I wanted you to know that I really appreciate it. The Indirect Function connected to the Named Range idea worked great. I have another problem of a different sort now, but I think I will post a new thread with a new topic name. (This thread can be deleted by a moderator or whatever. Thanks.)