Re: limit direct entry without locking cell

  1. #1
    beebop
    Guest

    beebop wrote:
    > *We need to prevent a user from directly entering content into a cell
    > but still have the cell visable and calculating values taken from
    > other cells.
    > Thank in advance,
    > Mike *

    I should qualify my question. I only have this problem because we are
    using buttons as active-x objects on the sheet. Ordinarily we can lock
    a cell and create this effect but the ojects prevent the locked cell
    from functioning with objects.
    Mike

    --
    beebop

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    What you can do is to use the data validation feature as follows:

    1. In the Data menu click validation.
    2. in the allow box select text length.
    3. put zeros in both the Minimum and Maximum boxes.

    This way if the user enters anything in the cell he will get an error message.

    I have a couple of posts on data validation here:

    http://www.exceldigest.com/myblog/