auto update xls document from separate file

  1. #1

    auto update xls document from separate file

    What I want to do is have one separate xls file to use as a database, then when any changes are made to this file, have other files automatically update, without actually opening them and separatly adding the data.
    Is this possible?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: auto update xls document from separate file

    kaplonk,

    No. You must open an Excel file to change it. You could have the change
    happen automatically when you _do_ open it, but you must open it.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    "kaplonk" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: auto update xls document from separate file

    And it becomes a real pain to keep all the workbooks in sync. (If the other
    file is in use, how do you keep track of those changes.)

    If I were you, I'd try my best to keep all my data in one spot. If you need
    other "report" workbooks, it's usually much easier starting with the combined
    data and extracting info when you need to. (But these report workbooks are just
    reports--no updates would be saved to the real data.)

  4. #4
    Wroclaw Poland
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: auto update xls document from separate file

    There is great solution for that to keep xls file copies in sync
    Please get familiar with
    http://chomikuj.pl/piotr.witka/Dokum...updatedXLS.zip
    and post Your feedback

    Regards