How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated on se

  1. #1
    Suhas Sakalikar
    Guest

    How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated on se

    We have denied the delete permission to the user on Windows 2003 server. Now
    when user saves the excel file 8 digit alphanumeric temporary files get
    generated without any extention where is in word it generated with .tmp
    extention. Now as administrator we want to delete these temporary files from
    all location with one go. Can you help us.

  2. #2

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated on se

    I think you may want to reconsider your approach...

    When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
    characters--no extension) on that same drive/folder.

    If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
    backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
    rename the funny named file to the original's name.

    So as long as the users are supposed to be able to save their changes, they need
    delete access to that server/folder to delete the original file.

    =========
    Those funny named files may be the ones that have the latest and greatest data
    in it.

  3. #3
    Suhas Sakalikar
    Guest

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    Thank you Dave,

    We don't want to allow user to have delete permission. What we are doing for
    other than excel file is every day in morning we search (~*.*, *.tmp) and
    delete the file, as excel temporary file donot have any extention we are not
    able to serach.

    What is happening in actual scenario, one user is deleting or moving the
    file and other user ask us that somebody has deleted the file though we are
    able to restore the file from backup but we do not want such situations.

    Suhas

  4. #4

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    I understand that you don't want to allow users to have delete permission.

    But remember that the funny named file is the one that has just been updated.
    If you delete that (as an admin), the user loses his/her changes.

    I think you have conflicting goals if you want to have the user update the
    workbook.

  5. #5
    Suhas Sakalikar
    Guest

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    Yes, we don't mind user loses his/her changes. Only final file is important
    for user.

    During our testing of denying this permission, we found that funny name
    stores earlier version of excel file and original name have newer version. We
    want this new version only.

    Suhas

  6. #6

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    If you don't mind that the user loses the changes, then provide readonly access
    to that drive/folder.

    I think your testing of the funny named file wasn't comprehensive.

  7. #7
    Suhas Sakalikar
    Guest

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    If read-only then how user will be able to change the file. Any way we want
    his/her final changes.

  8. #8

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    That's my point.

    If you want to allow the user to save the changes, you're going to have to give
    them delete access to that location.

  9. #9
    Suhas Sakalikar
    Guest

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    Even user donot have delete permission he/she can save the file with changes
    but he/she will not be able to delete temporary file of old version and at
    each click on save button new temporary file (8 funny character) get
    generated.

  10. #10

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated o

    That funny named file is the new version--not the old version. (Excel saves the
    new version as that funny named file.)

    Then it tries to delete the old version--this is where your problem happens--the
    user doesn't have permission to delete that old version.

    The next step would have been to rename the funny named file to the original
    name, but that doesn't happen since your delete step failed.

    So if you delete the funny named file, you're deleting the file that was just
    updated.

  11. #11
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    How to recover excel file which is saved with funny name (8 alpha numeric)

    Hi,

    I have an excel file which needs to be updated regularly. Sometimes, the file gets updated but sometime, the changes does not get saved. instead it saves as 8 alphanumeric file with no extension. Please advise how I can recover the data from that file as it contains very important information.

  12. #12
    Forum Guru
    Los Angeles, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    WinXP/MSO2007;Win10/MSO2016
    Posts
    12,598

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated on se

    Please read the rules and start your own thread.
    Ben Van Johnson

  13. #13
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: How administrator can delete temporary excel file generated on se

    Please take a few minutes to read the forum rules, and then start your own thread.

    Thanks.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate