Date sorting not working?

  1. #1

    Date sorting not working?

    Hello all,

    I am working with a 5 column/35 line spreadsheet and need to sort the contents by date (column E). I have made sure that the column is formatted for date (ex format>cells>DATE>03/01/05). When I select the columns go to DATA > SORT > Column e ascending it sorts up until line 30 or so then it just does the willy nilly thing. I cannot figure out why this simple function is giving me more greys. Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Tracy

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Date sorting not working?

    I'd be suspicious that some of your 'dates' are acutally text values
    masquerading as dates.

    Check the ones that don't sort correctly, maybe even re-entering them. Then
    try sorting them again

  3. #3
    Jacob_F_Roecker
    Guest

    RE: Date sorting not working?

    Dear Sarjak

    I'd recommend using a different feature.

    Try auto filtering on your header row

    Data --> Filter --> Autofilter

    This will give you a little more control over sorting your columns. It's an
    easy and quick feature.

    Let me know if you still have the same problem sorting it this way.

    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Date sorting not working?

    Hi Sarjak,

    Probably the >30 cells are text, not dates/numbers although they may look
    like dates and are formatted as such.
    You can easily check with the ISNUMBER() function. If so, do the following:
    Format an empty cell as number. Copy. Select your "Dates". Paste special,
    check Add. Re-format as date.

    BTW, 03/01/95; is that January or March?
    You don't happen to expect the column to sort just on day, do you?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    "sarjak" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Thank you all for your responses.
    The Autofilter didn't work.
    And the field "seemed" to be formatted as a date/number.
    I re-entered it and tried AGAIN and low and behold it worked.

    Thanks again for all the input!

    Tracy

    BTW: 03/01/05 is March 1

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Date sorting not working?

    Or format empty cell as date before copying and do it in one fell swoop! <g>

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:%232AL5n%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Cork, Ireland
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel For Mac 2011 14.3.9

    Re: Date sorting not working?

    The only way I could get auto sort in date to work properly was by formatting the cells as a text field and entering the numeric equivalent of a date, then reverting the format to dat..

    eg
    28/02/2014 = 41698