Convert font to lower case

  1. #1
    Teri
    Guest

    Convert font to lower case

    I have a large spreadsheet which I am using as merge data for a letter. Some
    of the data is in all caps. How can I convert this to lower case?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Make a helper column or a help spreadsheet and use LOWER() function. Just copy and paste value after to replace original.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teri

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Convert font to lower case

    Many ways, Teri. Choose your poison:
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Dennis
    Guest

    RE: Convert font to lower case

    Teri,

    Do you want everything on the source data W/S to be imported in lower case
    or just certain columns?

    Dennis

  5. #5
    sebastienm
    Guest

    RE: Convert font to lower case

    Hi,

    Say data is in A1.
    In B1, use the LOWER( ) function: =LOWER(A1)

    To convert to uppercase, use the UPPER function and to convert to Propercase
    (1st letter of each word uppercase and the rest lowercase) use the PROPER()
    function
    SĂ©bastien

  6. #6
    Teri
    Guest

    RE: Convert font to lower case

    Hey Dennis,

    Actually, it's all of the columns. Some of the data is in all UPPERCASE,
    some is not. I want it to be consistent.

    Thanks for your reply!

  7. #7
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: Convert font to lower case

    I dump the data into Word. Then select all text and click on Format - Change
    Case. Then I dump it back to excel.

  8. #8
    Dennis
    Guest

    RE: Convert font to lower case

    Teri,

    If you can use VBA (Macros)

    Try this.

    It will find all "Constants" (Data not formulas) on your active worksheet.
    and "automatically" change all to lowercase.

    No formulas of extra columns!

    Be sure to save your worksheet before using it in case you do not prefer the
    results!

    Sub LowerCase()
    Dim myRange As Range, myCell As Range
    Set myRange = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells _(xlCellTypeConstants, 23)
    On Error Resume Next
    For Each myCell In myRange
    myCell.Formula = LCase(myCell.Formula)
    Next
    MsgBox "Process Completed! Press OK to Continue"

    End Sub

    HTH Dennis

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    If suppose one particular cell always to be in upper case what to do.
    with regards
    nowfal

  10. #10
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Convert font to lower case

    Hi, Sebastien!
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Clearwater, FL
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Convert font to lower case

    When I do these instruction, it does not work. Can someone write them step-by step please?? : )

  12. #12
    Forum Guru
    NJ
    MS-Off Ver
    13,582

    Re: Convert font to lower case

    Are you attempting to make this correct capitalization? i.e. First letter of each sentence capitalized, proper nouns capitalized, all else in lower case? Excel doesn't recognize sentences as such (it's a spreadsheet, not a word processer). I think the idea of copying it all into Word, using Word's "Change Case" ability on the Home tab to change to "Sentence case" and then copy it all back into Excel. Would that work for you?
    ChemistB
    My 2?

    substitute commas with semi-colons if your region settings requires
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Edit First post>Advanced>Change Prefix)
    If I helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the little star at bottom of this post)

    Forum Rules: How to use code tags, mark a thread solved, and keep yourself out of trouble

  13. #13
    Clearwater, FL
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Convert font to lower case

    Yes!! Thank you!!

  14. #14
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: Convert font to lower case

    the very simple way to do it is using ASAP utilities (free excel addon)