change 'count of' to 'sum of' in pivot table field

  1. #1
    Rob B
    Guest

    change 'count of' to 'sum of' in pivot table field

    I'm transforming multiple excel sheets into a single sheet using pivot
    tables. There are frequently multiple items in the data column which appear
    as 'count of'. Is there a simple way to get all the entries to be 'sum of'
    instead of doing each one manually?-we're talking about 100 items
    occasionally!

    Oh, and if you can answer this without using code, I'd appreciate it, Cheers
    now, Rob.

  2. #2

    Re: change 'count of' to 'sum of' in pivot table field

    If you have empty cells or cells with text in that field, excel "knows" you want
    "count of". You can't change this behavior.

    You can use code to fix it, though.

    Debra Dalgleish has an addin that offers this plus a lot more stuff:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddIn02.html
    and
    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddIn.html

  3. #3
    Rob B
    Guest

    Re: change 'count of' to 'sum of' in pivot table field

    Hi Dave,

    Thank you very much for that, I've asked the ICT guys for permission to dl
    it, but it looks like just the thing I've been looking for!

  4. #4
    Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: change 'count of' to 'sum of' in pivot table field

    The addin features works great - thanks DAVE!