Excel files in separate program windows

  1. #1
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    You must be very thick having the nerve asking the same question in a peer to
    peer NG after your rude behaviour earlier, this is not MS helpdesk.

    Excel does not have this functionality regardless of what you think, 2002
    didn't have it, 2000 didn't have it etc, Word has it, only way is to select
    ignore other applications and open 2 independent copies of Excel

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  3. #3
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    Thanks, but that doesn't answer the question.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    On the contrary, Peo DID answer your question. The option you seek isn't and
    wasn't a 'feature' of Excel, or certainly not any recent version of Excel. I
    haven't used Excel 97 for a *long* time, so can't swear about that version,
    but would bet that you are in error in your assertion.

    Certainly you have never been able to use Excel's File>Open menu to create
    what you have called an 'exterior' window, or what sounds like a separate
    instance of Excel.

    Moreover, what possible functional value is there to what you seek that
    cannot be gained from the "Windows in Taskbar" view option?

  5. #5
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    > Is there a setting available so that each file of Excel that is opened
    > can be opened in its own Program Window?

    These two different ways might help get separate windows for different
    excel documents.

    #1. From the Windows "Start" menu, use the cascaded menu to open Excel.
    Once Excel is running, use "File >> Open" to open an Excel file. Repeat the
    steps for the second file.

    #2. Point to an Excel file on the desktop or in a folder. With the right
    mouse button, click "Send To >> Excel". Repeat the steps for the second
    file.

    For #2, you might not see "Excel" in the "Send To" menu at first. To add it
    there, put a shortcut to the Excel program into the folder
    C:\Windows\SendTo\

    By the way, if you have two files of the same name in different folders,
    this allows you to have both open at the same time.

    (I have Windows 98.)

  6. #6
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    I apologize, but you are mistaken, and the question was not answered.

    Prior to Excel 2003, Excel would open in separate program window whenever an
    additional file was opened. For an example of what would appear on your
    computer screen, please open Microsoft Word. Open a file and change the
    shape of the window into the right corner. While still in that window, go to
    File -> Open and choose a second file. A new window should open and you
    should be able to move that file down to the left corner. Now you have two
    separate windows of Word open with which you can work. This same
    functionality was available in Excel; however, it seems to no longer be the
    default.

    We gain absolutely no functionality with the "Windows in Taskbar". I'm not
    sure how it becomes added benefit to have to tab between windows when
    separate windows can be opened simultaneously on the computer screen. My
    company uses Excel spreadsheets extensively and have no need to "compare"
    spreedsheets, but rather have several open while working. It requires time
    and, therefore, money, to have to tab through several spreadsheets to get the
    one we need up when they could be open in separate windows. That is how we
    preformed work prior to Windows 2003 and since our upgrade we have been
    trying to reestablish that setting to make work easier for all our users.

    The Same Program Window may be great for you, but it's not a functionality
    that has benefitted our company.

  7. #7
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    Yes Jay. That does work. If you are currently in Excel 98, Go to Start
    Button and open up Excel 98.
    1. Open a file.
    2. Double click on the Green Bar at the top of the Excel program. It should
    shrink down in size, but not minimize to the tool bar.
    3. Go to File -> Open in that window and choose a second file. (Although
    this will not allow you to open a file with the same name, you should be able
    to open a second file.
    4. Now move the second file on the screen.

  8. #8
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    All you describe below is nothing more than restoring or 'de-maximizing' a
    window. I have Excel 2003 running right now. By default each file is
    maximized. If, however, you click on the WORKSHEET'S restore button, it
    will shrink in size a little and then allow you to resize that sheet just as
    you describe below. Open another file and resize to your wishes. Common,
    everyday Windows behavior

    If this is all you need, then you did a very poor job of describing your
    issue, and bear the responsibility for wasting others' time, instead of, as
    you claimed, that others trying to help were wasting your time. You were
    horribly rude and boorish

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    Although you have provided an answer, that is not the answer I am looking for
    to the problem. I'm sorry if you don't know how to answer the question?

    The problem with your solution is that it will not run with a dual monitor
    platform while working with other programs at the same time. Although it is
    a solution, it is not what I described I was looking for to solve the probem.

    All I ask is that you please READ the question before answering, and if you
    don't know the answer, then please say so.

    I thought this site was supposed to be professional?

  10. #10

    Maybe this addin will help

    I have created a very simple addin which forces Excel to open new instance of application every time number of workbooks exceeds 1. It is enough to install it and it should work fine, but it has three major disadvantages:

    1. It consumes a little memory
    2. Every time a file is being opened from file->open , it must be opened twice
    3. Name of this addin cannot be changed without modyfing code

    If anyone could help to remove the 2. disadv I'd be greatful.

    You can also setup windows file associations, so that new instance of Excel starts every time you open .xls file from explorer. It is enough to change 'Open' action associated with .xls file, and set application to:

    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

    and uncheck use DDE
    Attached Files Attached Files

  11. #11
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    PROFESSIONAL? As others have pointed out to you, BUT YOU HAVEN'T BOTHERED TO
    READ, this is not a Microsoft help desk. It is a community of users helping
    other users.

    As far as your statement that "it is not what I described I was looking for
    to solve the probem" - this is the VERY FIRST TIME you have mentioned a dual
    monitor platform, so you really haven't described your problem very well,
    have you? People have had to try to divine just what you are trying to
    accomplish, because your descriptions have been poorly stated and incomplete.
    You've also used odd terms, such as 'exterior window' which doesn't mean
    much of anything. You've asserted that "Excel would open in separate program
    window whenever an additional file was opened." Others here, people who are
    very, very experienced Excel users, have refuted that claim, more or less,
    and I don't recall ever seeing that behavior though I've used Excel for
    nearly 20 years. So..what are we supposed to deduce from your postings? You
    want us all to admit that we don't know the answer to a problem that we're
    guessing about because you haven't quite explained it fully or accurately?
    OK, I DON'T KNOW!

  12. #12
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    I understand that this is not a Microsoft site and that it has rules of
    conduct.

    The question I have been describing used to occur in Excel 2000 on both one
    or two monitors. The number of monitors does not change the question. Both
    our single monitor and dual monitors use Excel in the same fashion.

    I am asking if anyone knows a setting for Excel 2003, that when they open
    additional files, the additional files open in their own program window. A
    separate window that can be moved to other parts of the screen. This
    function occurred prior to Excel 2003 and still exists with Word 2003.

    Thank you for trying to solve the question, but that is not the answer I am
    looking for to the problem.

  13. #13
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    I am sorry if this was misunderstood as a question.

    It was posted as a suggestion to find a setting that occurred with Excel 2000.

  14. #14
    Christopher Dove
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    Dear Peo,

    First, as a MVP your tone is completely unprofessional. Second of all, the
    more important issue is Microsoft's complete lack of consistency between
    programs when they tote this as been such (as you clearly demonstrated).
    This is simply identifies another lack of inconsistency between programs and
    now, even versions, which frustrates dedicated users of MS products. I will
    note that the office suite is getting much better and many kudos to the
    developers for going in the right direction.

    Cheers!

  15. #15

    Solution

    I came across these entertaining threads while trying to find an answer to the same question. The only reason I even registered here is to announce that I have found the solution, and would be glad to share it with any of the users on this site whose name doesn't rhyme with "Bason Bove".

  16. #16

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    I know what you're hitting here, Jason, and I think I got a solution
    for you. The problem is that double-clicking a spreadsheet doesn't open
    a new instance of Excel, it opens it in the current one. Then when you
    click the close "x" in the upper right hand corner of the window, it
    closes ALL your workbooks, not just the current one. This is not
    consistent with the way Word works. Perhaps on some level it is
    consistent, but it obviously breaks user expectation or there wouldn't
    be so many questions about it.

    The answer involves changing the file association stuff in windows. Go
    to explorer, choose tools, then folder options. Click the File Types
    tab. Scroll down to the XLS extension. Click the Advanced button.
    Choose "open", then click the edit button.

    At the end of the "Application used" entry, you'll probably see: /e
    After this, add: "%1" (be sure to include the quotes.)

    Then uncheck the "Use DDE" checkbox. Then click OK. (Windows re-checks
    it at some point for some reason, but it still works)

    OK your way out of the file types dialog.

    Now when you double-click a spreadsheet, it will open it in a new
    instance of Excel.

    Hope it helps!

    Dave

  17. #17
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    Thanks Dave,

    The idea helps more with what I'm looking for with Excel. Ultimately, our
    office would prefer to have Excel open separate windows from within Excel
    itself.

    I tried your suggestion. At first it didn't work, then I realized I needed a
    space between /e "%1". It works now.

    Thanks. This will help for now. Hopefully Microsoft will bring back
    opening worksheets in separate windows.

    Jason

  18. #18
    Richard Cook
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    Jason,

    Here's how I get around the problem you describe.

    For Excel files that I use regularly, I build a shortcut where under the
    Shortcut tab, in the Target box, I place the filespec for the Excel
    executable in quotes, for example:

    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE"

    Then a space, and finally the filespec for the particular Excel file I wish
    to open, for example:

    "[filepath]\[filename]"

    So, the full string in the Target box reads:

    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "[filepath]\[filename]"

    If my Excel file was named 'MyExcelFile.xls' and happened to be in the
    'C:\Temp' folder, the Target box would read:

    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\Temp\MyExcelFile.xls"

    With the shortcut configured in this manner, a new instance, i.e., a
    completely new and separate Excel application, opens when I use this
    shortcut, regardless of how many Excel files are currently open.

    Hope this helps,

    Richard Cook

  19. #19
    Jason Dove
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    Thanks for the information Richard.

    The ultimate purpose of this suggestion is for Microsoft to take notice of
    the comments and bring back the ability to open separate windows of excel
    when opening a new or an existing file.

  20. #20
    Paula
    Guest

    RE: Excel files in separate program windows

    Jason I also work with multiple spreadsheets open and can't stand having them
    stacked into one window. It is a pain to have to open new window each time
    prior to opening a saved file. I remember there used to be an option to open
    files in a new window or open files in an existing window. They need to put
    that back so we can choose what works best without creating a work around.

  21. #21
    Don S
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:37:02 -0800, "Paula"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jason I also work with multiple spreadsheets open and can't stand having them
    >stacked into one window. It is a pain to have to open new window each time
    >prior to opening a saved file. I remember there used to be an option to open
    >files in a new window or open files in an existing window. They need to put
    >that back so we can choose what works best without creating a work around.
    >
    >"Jason Dove" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the information Richard.
    >>
    >> The ultimate purpose of this suggestion is for Microsoft to take notice of
    >> the comments and bring back the ability to open separate windows of excel
    >> when opening a new or an existing file.
    >>
    >> "Richard Cook" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Jason,
    >> >
    >> > Here's how I get around the problem you describe.
    >> >
    >> > For Excel files that I use regularly, I build a shortcut where under the
    >> > Shortcut tab, in the Target box, I place the filespec for the Excel
    >> > executable in quotes, for example:
    >> >
    >> > "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE"
    >> >
    >> > Then a space, and finally the filespec for the particular Excel file I wish
    >> > to open, for example:
    >> >
    >> > "[filepath]\[filename]"
    >> >
    >> > So, the full string in the Target box reads:
    >> >
    >> > "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "[filepath]\[filename]"
    >> >
    >> > If my Excel file was named 'MyExcelFile.xls' and happened to be in the
    >> > 'C:\Temp' folder, the Target box would read:
    >> >
    >> > "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\Temp\MyExcelFile.xls"
    >> >
    >> > With the shortcut configured in this manner, a new instance, i.e., a
    >> > completely new and separate Excel application, opens when I use this
    >> > shortcut, regardless of how many Excel files are currently open.
    >> >
    >> > Hope this helps,
    >> >
    >> > Richard Cook

    Would "Tools" "Options" "View" & check "Windows in Taskbar" get what
    you want?

    Don S

  22. #22
    Frank
    Guest

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    Hi All in this issue

    Is there anything new because I am faciing the same problem as Jason and has
    tried to explain it in the same way but noones did understand, so I was
    really happy that finally some did.

    Will there be a change in excel for this feature in the future ??

    Or do I have to make this small reprogramming ?

    Kind regards
    Frank

  23. #23
    Weglian

    "Don S" wrote:
    > Would "Tools" "Options" "View" & check "Windows in Taskbar" get what
    > you want?
    >
    > Don S

    I found this when I came to ask for the same functionality in Excel and in
    PowerPoint. The option above makes it even less user friendly, as far as I
    can tell. When you choose that option, you can't switch between worksheets
    via the taskbar at all. What we want is to have two Excel spreadsheets open
    at the same time so that you can see and use both at once. The above
    suggestion to have Excel open a new instance works, but not if you open a new
    spreadsheet from within Excel, itself. I want to be able to have 5 windows,
    each with a separate worksheet, all of which I can see at once (or at least
    enough to click to pull it to the front). I use two monitors, so it's easy
    to be productive this way.

    Excel on the Mac works this way, but I'm on a PC, now. I vote for changing
    it on the PC!

    -John Weglian

  24. #24
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    K so I read through this thread and realized, this isn't a community for helping it's a community for ragging on people when you think they don't have all the information,

    the action the user is requesting is quite avaible found HERE

    I find it frustrating when I click the larger of the two x's in excel and all the windows close or you cant have different worksheets shaped differently because the spreadsheets are organized differently.

    Before you go making ASSumptions about things, find all the information first

  25. #25
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    Thanks for judging us based on one six year old thread that originated in a newsgroup. I hope all of your opinions are as thoughtfully formed.
    Last edited by shg; 04-15-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda sine necessitate

  26. #26
    Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: Solution

    nevermind i
    Last edited by mkalenuik; 06-17-2011 at 09:59 AM.

  27. #27
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    Bringing this back again because I would like to point out that despite all rumors to the contrary it appears that Microsoft do actually read some of these questions, and the feature to have two working excel spreadsheets open for viewing and working on at the same time was added in Office 2007. Very useful for copy and pasting from one sheet to another or just to have information on hand for studying differences.
    Excel 2007 View - Arrange all.

    Now if future office programs would bring back Office 2003 voice recognition, that could be sweet.

    from Chrissie

  28. #28
    Forum Expert shg's Avatar
    The Great State of Texas
    MS-Off Ver
    2003, 2010
    Posts
    40,678

    Re: Excel files in separate program windows

    and the feature to have two working excel spreadsheets open for viewing and working on at the same time was added in Office 2007.
    Not exactly.

    In Excel 2003, Window > Arrange ...

    I think it also worked in Excel XP (2002).
    Last edited by shg; 09-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.

  29. #29
    Georgia, USA
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Solution