The shortcut to enter time in excel should include seconds.

  1. #1
    JoeGill
    Guest

    The shortcut to enter time in excel should include seconds.

    The shortcut to enter the current time in an Excel workbook should include
    seconds. Currently, if you hit CTRL+: (SHIFT the current time is
    displayed in the appropriate cell as 1:14 PM b default. Formatting the time
    to read h:mm:ss, it is displayed with the seconds as :00

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: The shortcut to enter time in excel should include seconds.

    This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup.

    To submit suggestions to MS, send an email to [email protected].

    FWIW, my default setup does exactly that. In my startup template (in the
    startup folder) I have something like:

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Application.OnKey "^+;", "EnterTime"
    End Sub

    and in a regular module:

    Public Sub EnterTime()
    With Selection
    .NumberFormat = "hh:mm:ss"
    .Value = Time
    End With
    End Sub

  3. #3
    JoeGill
    Guest

    Re: The shortcut to enter time in excel should include seconds.

    I really appreciate the info. However, I'm not very saavy with this sort of
    thing. In fact, I don't even know how to begin altering the setup like this.
    If you wouldn't mind, could you take me through how to do this step by step?
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: The shortcut to enter time in excel should include seconds.

    Joe,

    Probably best to add this to your Personal.xls.

    First check if you have one. Go to Window>Unhide and see if there is a
    Personal. xls file there.

    If there is not create one by creating a simple macro. Go to
    Tools>Macro>Record New Macro. In the dropdown, select Personal Macro
    Workbook. As soon as the recording starts, a small toolbar with stop
    Recording button. Click this button. Re-do the Window>Unhide stuff.

    Select the Personal.xls to make it visible.

    In this workbook, right-click the Excel icon at the top-left of the
    Personal.xls spreadsheet, and select View Code. You will be presented with
    the VBE, and an open code module.

    Enter John's code into the code module.

    Close the VBE.

    Select the Personal.xls spreadsheet, save it, and then hide it, Window>Hide.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: The shortcut to enter time in excel should include seconds.

    Hi,

    I have not understood How to handle this.

    I didn't understand how to create this type of file too.. The question is exactly same for me

    Regards,
    Aditya N

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: The shortcut to enter time in excel should include seconds.

    Aditya,

    Unfortunately you need to post your question in a new thread, it's against the forum rules to post a question in the thread of another user. If you create your own thread, any advice will be tailored to your situation so you should include a description of what you've done and are trying to do. Also, if you feel that this thread is particularly relevant to what you are trying to do, you can surely include a link to it in your new thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]