Pasting Diagonally

  1. #1
    le_s
    Guest

    Pasting Diagonally

    How do I paste text from a column into a diagonal line of cells (i.e. A1, B2,
    C3, etc.)? Additionally (and this may be related), how do I get the cursor
    to move to a diagonal cell after an entry? (as opposed to down or to the side)

  2. #2

    Re: Pasting Diagonally

    There's nothing built into excel that allows you to paste on the diagonal.

    You could have a macro that prompts you for the first range and the top left
    cell of the second range and does the work for you, though.

  3. #3
    Boston, MA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Pasting Diagonally

    To paste along a column:

    =OFFSET(B$2,COUNT(A$1:A1),COUNT(A$1:A1))

    To paste along a row:

    =OFFSET($B2,COUNT($A1:A1),COUNT($A1:A1))

    Drag the formula along the column or row and it will paste values B2, C3, etc.