How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

  1. #1
    Matthew in FL
    Guest

    How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

    I have a long list of data in Excel that is 3 columns wide. I need to find
    and save only the duplicate rows but don't want to delete them. Instead, I
    could delete the unique rows and keep the duplicate rows. In the customer
    assistance, I found out how to delete duplicate rows and save the unique
    rows, but this is exactly opposite of what I want to do.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,256
    This is one option:
    =COUNTIF($A$4:$A$18,A4)>1
    copy down, and use a Autofilter to find all True

    HTH
    Ola Sandström

    Picture encl.: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment...tid=3498&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Doug
    Guest

    Re: How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

    You could try putting an "X" in the fourth column when there is a duplicate
    then go thru the list deleting rows that don't have an "X"

    Doug

    <[email protected]>...

  4. #4
    Amarillo, TX
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

    Thank you so much olasa! That is exactly what I needed to know!
    Stef

  5. #5
    usa
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

    thank you !!! that was very helpful

  6. #6
    New delhi
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

    yea it is working is there any shortcut available ?

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

    riyaraj,

    Unfortunately you need to post your question in a new thread, it's against the forum rules to post a question in the thread of another user. If you create your own thread, any advice will be tailored to your situation so you should include a description of what you've done and are trying to do. Also, if you feel that this thread is particularly relevant to what you are trying to do, you can surely include a link to it in your new thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]

  8. #8
    New delhi
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: How do I find duplicate rows in a list in Excel, and not delete it

    Thanx Arly for aware me. I dont want to brake rule. I am also searching this solution & got this thread is relevant with my question so I appreciate above answer. Thank again I'll keep in mind from now it is against forum rule..