How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

  1. #1
    edspyhill01
    Guest

    How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    I am trying to replace all commas with a newline character. What do I put in
    the Replace field?

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    Hold down <Alt>,
    And type
    0010
    Using the numbers on the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function
    keys.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    Or use ctrl-j

  4. #4
    edspyhill01

    "Dave Peterson" wrote:

    > Or use ctrl-j
    >

    > RagDyeR wrote:
    > >
    > > Hold down <Alt>,
    > > And type
    > > 0010
    > > Using the numbers on the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function
    > > keys.
    > > --
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > RD
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit!
    > >
    > > "edspyhill01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am trying to replace all commas with a newline character. What do I put
    > > in
    > > the Replace field?

    > --
    >
    > Dave Peterson

    Neither solution worked. I'm using the "Find and Replace" menu under Edit
    --> Replace. I have several fields in one cell separated by commas. I would
    like to substitute a new line character for each comma to create a short list
    in each cell.

    Example:

    From:
    user707@unix-mail, deliverable, mailer, ether, host, unix-mail.<domain>,
    user, user707@unix-mail.<domain>

    To:
    user707@unix-mail
    deliverable
    mailer
    ether
    host
    unix-mail.<domain>
    user
    user707@unix-mail.<domain>

    Thank you,

    Ed S.

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    You followed these steps?

    Selected a cell or cells.

    Edit>Replace

    What: enter a comma,

    With: Hold the ALT key and type 0010(on numpad) or Dave's CTRL + j

    Replace all.

    Format the cell(s) to Wrap Text.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    You *did* say that you wanted this list to be in a *single* cell ... didn't
    you?

    If so, both suggestions will work "as advertised"!

    After selecting your data, enter a comma in the "Find What" box,
    And then in the "Replace With" box,
    Follow Dave's (<Ctrl> <J>) suggestion or mine (<Alt> 0010).

    Worked with the data you posted here.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    From:
    user707@unix-mail, deliverable, mailer, ether, host, unix-mail.<domain>,
    user, user707@unix-mail.<domain>

    To:
    user707@unix-mail
    deliverable
    mailer
    ether
    host
    unix-mail.<domain>
    user
    user707@unix-mail.<domain>

    Thank you,

    Ed S.

  7. #7
    edspyhill01
    Guest

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    It works. Must have been my sequence of selecting the cells and/or text.
    Ctrl-J works the best, giving me one new line per comma. The Alt-0010 gives
    me multiple new lines per comma but that is probably my error.

    Thank you to all for the speedy help. This will save me hours of drudgery
    formating test results for about 100,000 email aliases for pre and post
    change comparisons from two SMTP servers.

    Ed S.

  8. #8

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    ctrl-j and alt-0010 (from the number key pad--not above the QWERTY keys) are
    equivalent and will give the same results.

    I just find ctrl-j easier to explain (and use).

  9. #9
    edspyhill01

    "edspyhill01" wrote:

    > It works. Must have been my sequence of selecting the cells and/or text.
    > Ctrl-J works the best, giving me one new line per comma. The Alt-0010 gives
    > me multiple new lines per comma but that is probably my error.
    >
    > Thank you to all for the speedy help. This will save me hours of drudgery
    > formating test results for about 100,000 email aliases for pre and post
    > change comparisons from two SMTP servers.
    >
    > Ed S.

    Figured out the multiple new lines. DOH! The last text typed into the
    Replace field stays pre-loaded when recalled, but, not seeing the new line on
    a retry, I would add another one.

    Both solutions work perfect.

    Thanks again,

    Ed S.

  10. #10

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    Whew!

    Glad you found the problem and solution. (It restores my faith in excel!)

  11. #11
    Melbourne
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

    Thanks RagDyeR,
    This solution was very helpful & saved my time.

    Cheers,
    Vijay