Can't Edit Comments -

  1. #1
    Dean
    Guest

    Can't Edit Comments -

    I recently upgraded at work from Ofc 2000 to 2003, I don't know if that has
    anything to do with it, but some of the Comments won't allow me to edit them.
    When you try, the Comment just winks and won't let you access it. They
    won't show either when you use the Show All Comments function. It will
    display when you select and hover over the cell. Hopefully someone can help
    me, I would appreciate it. Thx - Dean

  2. #2

    Re: Can't Edit Comments -

    Are you sure that they're comments--and not from Data|Validation?

    If they really are comments, can you start a new workbook and add/edit comments
    there?

    (I don't have a response no matter your response, but it may help others.)

  3. #3
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: Can't Edit Comments -

    Dave,
    Yes, they are comments, they were comments that I placed in the cells
    previously. And yes, I can create new Comments and Edit those. Thx - Dean

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can't Edit Comments -

    Dean

    I'm betting those are not Comments, but Data Validation messages.

    Click on the cell and Data>Validation.

    See what you have there.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5

    Re: Can't Edit Comments -

    I don't have any guess, just some things to play with.

    Maybe it's a memory problem.

    Try closing every other application and see if that helps.

    Try changing the zoom factor to 100% (sometimes it helps with display problems).

    Maybe it's a video board problem--can you experiment with the display settings?
    (Keep a note of the original settings!)

    Maybe start excel in safe mode
    close excel
    windows start button|run
    excel /safe

    file|open yourworkbook.xls

    And see if that helps.

    =====
    But if it only happens on that one worksheet, maybe recreating the worksheet
    would be in order.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: Can't Edit Comments -

    Gord,
    sorry, it is a note, I even used ASAP utilities to Resize and Reposition
    them to their original positions. It has the indicator for the note as well
    in the upper right. The note is as I originally placed it in there. I can
    edit the cell that each one is in, but I just can't edit the Comment. Thx -
    Dean

  8. #8
    Lonsdale, Minnesota
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Can't Edit Comments -

    I am in the same boat as OP,

    I am NOT using a shared workbook, though the workbook is on the server. Other people on separate computers have opened it and added comments of their own, though not in the particular cell I am having trouble with.

    It shows the red "comment" in the corner of the cell, and when i hover over the cell it shows the comment, but when i try to edit the comment, nothing happens. The comment box doesn't even pop up.
    Everything was working fine until about a week ago when i noticed that some cells with comments could not be edited (others in the same workbook CAN be edited). My workaround is to write down what i had in the comment and then delete the comment and add a new one, then re-type what i had in the comment along with any additional text i want. super annoying.

    I think this is a bug on MS Excel's part. Why would I be able to edit some cells with comments, and not others in the same workbook? Nobody is working in the workbook the same time I am.

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: Can't Edit Comments -

    siddowens123,

    This is a 7 yr old thread and you are not likely to get a reply. Please start a new thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]