I've got a worksheet where I'd like to match a table with the names of hundreds of vendors to a column with a list of these vendors. The vendors in the table are sorted in rows by type.
The vendor names shown in the table may only partially match the vendor names listed in the column.
I've attached simplified worksheet showing the basic structure. (The real worksheet contains hundreds of vendors.)
1. Column A is a list of vendors.
2. Column C is a list of vendor types.
3. Column D is the quantity of vendors of that type.
4. Columns E - V contain vendor names that may only partially match the vendor names in column A.
5. In Column B I'd like to return the "vendor type" shown in Column C in which a match on that row is found with a vendor listed in Column A.
Again, in some cases the vendor names shown in the table range (E1:V15) will only partially match the vendor names shown in Column A.