Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

  1. #1
    TBoe
    Guest

    Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    I have a column with people who contacted us during a given month. Some
    times the same person 2 to 3 time during the month. What funtion would I use
    to count this list but only count duplicate names to = 1. Thank you.

    1 Jim
    2 stan
    3 stan
    4 bob
    5 Jim
    6 Scott

    t = 4

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Hi

    you can use the following array function (enter it with control & shift &
    enter, not just enter):
    =SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10))

    where your data is in the range A1:A10

    details

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    TBoe
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Thanks much for your help Julie. Really appreceite it. I keep coming up
    with 0 as the total. There's probably about 15 different names. I'll work
    with that formula awile to see if it will solve this. I'm sure it's just me.
    Thanks again.

    Terry

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Try the following...

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10&""))

    ....confirmed with ENTER only, or...

    =SUM(IF(A1:A10<>"",1/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10)))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Hope this helps!

  5. #5
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Hi

    are you sure you're using control & shift & enter to enter the formula and
    not just enter
    have you changed a1:a10 to your actual range?

  6. #6
    TBoe
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    This is what I did Julie....
    Copied and pasted the formula into the formula bar and changed the cell
    coordinates
    then hit control, shift, enter. Thanks again.

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Hi

    i don't have any other ideas, do you want to email your workbook so i can
    have a look? - send it direct to julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au - it's
    11.38pm here so i probably won't get to it until tomorrow.

  8. #8
    TBoe
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Thanks much Domenic...that did it!

  9. #9
    TBoe
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Thanks for you help and offer Julie. I guess it didn't like the copy/paste
    method.
    I entered it manually. Thanks again!

  10. #10
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    Hi TBoe

    glad it's solved

  11. #11
    Saudi Arabia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Counting names in a column but counting duplicate names once

    very good forum
    thank you so much