I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

  1. #1
    Russellrupert
    Guest

    I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

    If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula
    to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers
    in cells. How do i do this?
    Presently the formula displays #VALUE! where there is text in one or more of
    the cells referenced.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

    Use ISNUMBER():

    In place of A1 use =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,"")
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

    Just some thoughts .. If it's to sum numbers,
    we could use, eg: =SUM(A1:A3)
    instead of : =A1+A2+A3

    SUM will ignore text,
    while : =A1+A2+A3 would return #VALUE!
    if there are text within the range

    And if there's the possibility of "text" numbers within the range, which
    should also be included in the sum together with real numbers, then one way
    is to try,
    array-entered (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):
    =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(--A1:A3),--A1:A3))

    [ =SUM(A1:A3) would ignore text numbers ]
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tampa, FL
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

    So I'm trying to ignore the text in a column of numbers that I'm trying to average. Using the isnumber command seems to fail when the cell is considered in the context of a larger dataset since anything I have tried to put in the "if false" either ruins the average or the syntax.