Tabbing/Indenting within a cell

  1. #1
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Tabbing/Indenting within a cell

    I'd like to have different levels of text within a cell. How do I do this?
    In Text boxes, Tables, etc, using the Ctrl + Tab indents the text within the
    cell.
    Is there something within Excel that will do the following:

    Initial line of text:
    -different line of text
    -next line of text
    - etc.

    When the Indent button is used - it moves all the text over.
    --
    Thanks,
    Diane

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Tabbing/Indenting within a cell

    Diane,

    Nothing automatic - Excel isn't a word processor. You would need to format the cell for wrapping,
    then type the first line, hit alt-Enter to insert a line feed, then use your space bar to space
    over, etc., etc.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DianeMcP
    Guest

    Re: Tabbing/Indenting within a cell

    That's what I've been doing, I just wondered whether there was an easier way
    to do that.
    --
    Thanks again,
    Diane

  4. #4
    Calgary, Canada
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Tabbing/Indenting within a cell

    Hi,

    I know this is a really old thread, but I stumbled on to solution to this problem that I think works really well. The only solution that I could find was to add spaces to create the indent in a cell without indenting the whole cell.

    What worked for me was this:
    1) create a bulleted list in word
    2) copy a line of the bulleted/indented text from the word document
    3) double click on a cell so you get a flashing cursor in the cell
    4) paste the text it into the cell.
    5) Now from in the formula bar where you'll also see the text that you pasted click and drag to select the space between the bullet and the start of the text. Notice it's not spaces.
    6) Hit Ctrl-C to copy this space.
    7) Paste this space at the beginning of the line and only that line of text will move over the space of a standard indent.

    I hope this helps others that have been looking for a solution to this and have been hitting a wall.