Undoing LINKS in Excel 2000

  1. #1
    jayceejay
    Guest

    Undoing LINKS in Excel 2000

    I am Using Excel 2000 and I have a worksheet that is LINKED to data in a
    completely seperate workbook that was deleted weeks ago. I still get the
    annoying boxes that say "file not found." How do I UNDO the links that still
    exist to this files that was deleted?

  2. #2
    Frank Kabel
    Guest

    Re: Undoing LINKS in Excel 2000

    Hi
    use the following addin to find these links:
    goto: http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

    and search for Findlink.zip
    (http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.a...e=FindLink.zip)

    --
    Regards
    Frank Kabel
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jayceejay
    Guest

    Re: Undoing LINKS in Excel 2000

    I am in a network environment with a firewall that will not allow me to
    download any add-ins. How do I fix using existing tools?

  4. #4
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: Undoing LINKS in Excel 2000

    From the Excel help menu-----

    Break links

    Break a link to a source

    Important When you break a link to a source, all formulas that that use the source are converted to their current value. For example, the link =SUM([Budget.xls]Annual!C10:C25) would be converted to =45.

    Because this action cannot be undone, you may want to save a version of the file before you start.

    On the Edit menu, click Links.
    In the Source list, click the link you want to break.
    To select multiple linked objects, hold down CTRL and click each linked object.
    To select all links, press CTRL+A.
    Click Break Link.
    If the link used a defined name, the name is not automatically removed. You may want to delete the name as well.
    How?
    On the Insert menu, point to Name, and then click Define.
    In the Names in workbook list, click the name you want to change.
    Do one of the following:
    Change the name
    Type the new name for the reference, and then click Add.
    Click the original name, and then click Delete.
    Change the cell, formula, or constant represented by a name
    Change it in the Refers to box.
    Delete the name
    Click Delete.
    If you use an external data range, a parameter of a query may also use data from another workbook. You may want to check for and remove any of these type of links.
    Control the startup prompt for updating links
    Don't prompt for all workbooks I open, and update the links automatically
    This option is for the current user only, and affects every workbook opened. Other users of the workbook are not affected.
    On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Edit tab.
    Clear the Ask to update automatic links check box. If the box is cleared, the links are automatically updated, and no alert is displayed.
    Prompt in the same way for every user of the workbook
    Warning This option affects all users of the workbook. If you choose to not update links, and not to prompt, users of the workbook will not know the data is out of date.
    On Edit menu, click Links.
    Click Startup Prompt.
    Select the option you want.
    Note You will still be notified if there are any broken links.
    Replace a single formula with its calculated value
    Caution When you replace a formula with its value, Microsoft Excel permanently removes the formula. If you accidentally replace a formula with a value and want to restore the formula, click Undo immediately after you enter or paste the value.
    Select the cell that contains the formula.
    If the formula is an array formula, select the range that contains the array formula.
    How?
    Click any cell in the array range.
    On the Edit menu, click Go To.
    Click Special.
    Click Current array.
    Click Copy .
    Click Paste on the Standard toolbar.
    Click the arrow next to Paste Options , and then click Values.

    "jayceejay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    : I am in a network environment with a firewall that will not allow me to
    : download any add-ins. How do I fix using existing tools?
    :
    : "Frank Kabel" wrote:
    :
    : > Hi
    : > use the following addin to find these links:
    : > goto: http://oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
    : >
    : > and search for Findlink.zip
    : > (http://oaltd.co.uk/DLCount/DLCount.a...e=FindLink.zip)