Conditional Formatting

  1. #1

    Conditional Formatting

    Hi I would like to make a range of cells within a column turn green when certain conditions are met.
    The user will enter "I or "M" in each cell. If certain cells contain I's and certain cells contain M's then all of these cells turn green.
    Grateful for any assisstance.

  2. #2
    Marcus Langell
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Formatting

    Use a different column to check whether the correct pattern of I:s and M:s
    are entered. For example with 0 if it's correct and 1 otherwise. Then
    summarize that column and have the conditional formatting check if that sum
    is greater than zero.

    /Marcus

  3. #3
    That is the method i have used. Basically it ends up with the desired total of the score in the column as 3.
    The problem is how do i make the whole range of cells in the column turn green as a result?
    Conditional formatting applies to the active cell- what would the formula be to apply it to several cells? I have never written excel functions before.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Marcus Langell
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Formatting

    1. Select the cells you want to apply the formatting to.

    2. Choose Format, Conditional Formatting

    3. Select "Formula Is" in the first drop-down

    4. Enter "=$A$1=1" as the formula (without quote marks), where $A$1 is your
    check-sum cell and 1 is the number for which the formatting should be applied.

    /Marcus

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Could you give some test data and expected results???
    -Joseph

  6. #6
    I want the formatting to work like this:

    If C79 = Y then the cells in E12:E66 turn green

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Highlight cells E12:E66 then go to Format->Conditional Formatting then choose "Formula is" and write:

    =$C$79="Y"

    Then click the format button next to the sample text and choose Patterns and then whatever color you want (in this case, green) and click OK, and that should be it.

    Let me know if it works out.

  8. #8
    Thanks Marcus and all - it works now.
    I think I must have tried all sorts of combinations apart from the actual one that works- til now

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    Central Jersey
    Glad to hear it!