Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

EVALUATE Function

  1. #1
    Frank H.
    Guest

    EVALUATE Function

    I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find much
    information on Excel's EVALUATE Function. I see it being
    used but don't seem to have it in my function list with
    Excel 2003. Can someone provide an explanation of the
    EVALUATE function i.e. what it does, a little history,
    etc. Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Jimbola
    Guest

    RE: EVALUATE Function

    Hi Frank,

    Evaluate is not a function, hence u can't see it in the function list. It is
    a formula auditing tool, located in Tools > Formula Auditing > Evaluate
    Formula (EF) .
    Basicaly if you enter a formula in a cell and use the EF it will show you
    exactly how the result is calculated. Even if the result turns our to be an
    error. Using it if you have a formula with many parts you can see how each
    part is worked out by Excel.
    It was introduced in Excel 2002(XP).

    HTH

  3. #3

    Re: EVALUATE Function

    Maybe you have an addin that contains a homegrown =Evaluate() function.

    They're pretty common around here.

    Usually, developers write them to evaluate a string.

    In A1:A3 (for instance)
    a1 = 3
    a2 = +
    a3 = 5

    =evaluate(a1&a2&a3)

    could return 5--but it really depends on what the author of the function did.

    If you have an addin that you load (maybe downloaded from the web), maybe it's
    one of the functions in that. If you think you know that addin's name, post it
    and I'm sure someone can be more specific.

    =======
    And there is an Evaluate that can be used in VBA--but I didn't guess you meant
    that.

  4. #4
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    Re: EVALUATE Function

    Dave,

    Actually, along the same lines of this post I was looking at Stephen
    Bullen's site and he has a charting example from 1998 that uses EVALUATE
    combined with defined names to chart a function. It does pretty much what
    you've described below. I can't seem to find anything in the Excel 2003 Help
    that describes this function either. Would you know why there doesn't seem
    to be any documentation on this (or maybe I'm just missing it).

    Thanks.

    ----
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  5. #5

    Re: EVALUATE Function

    I'm not sure how Stephen used Evaluate.

    But if it was a home grown function, then it was designed/written by a user--not
    by microsoft.

    There is an old xlm macro command called evaluate, too.

    You can read more about them by getting both of these:
    Macrofun.exe & Macro97.exe (which contains XLMacr8.hlp)

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...etext=Macrofun

  6. #6
    wr45
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: EVALUATE Function

    This may be what you're looking for (works perfectly with AND, OR in strings such as :
    =ExcelEval("AND(1=1)")
    http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=1048

  7. #7
    Forum Expert NBVC's Avatar
    Mississauga, CANADA
    MS-Off Ver
    2003:2010
    Posts
    34,898

    Re: EVALUATE Function

    This thread is almost 5 years old...
    Where there is a will there are many ways.

    If you are happy with the results, please add to the contributor's reputation by clicking the reputation icon (star icon) below left corner

    Please also mark the thread as Solved once it is solved. Check the FAQ's to see how.

Closed Thread