Returning the last item in column

  1. #1
    HondaMike
    Guest

    Returning the last item in column

    I'm stumped by something that seems simple. I have a column of data that is
    added to each day. I want to take the last value in this column each day and
    enter in a daily summary row. My summary row contains sums and averages for
    other columns, but I just need the last value in this particular column to be
    transferred each day to the summary row. I can't find a formula or function
    to accomplish this seemingly simple task. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: Returning the last item in column

    HondaMike, Will return the last numeric valve in Column A

    =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A)

    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Returning the last item in column

    This might suffice for the purpose,
    based on the conditions posted ..

    Suppose the column is col A,
    with data entered from row2 down successively
    (without leaving any blank rows in-between)

    Put in say, B1:

    =INDEX(A2:A100,MATCH(TRUE,(A2:A100=""),0)-1)

    Array-enter the formula,
    i.e. press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
    instead of just pressing ENTER

    B1 will return the last value entered in col A

    Adapt the range "A2:A100" to suit
    --
    Rgds
    Max