inserting data from a row to a cell, when the row number is specified by a formula in a cell

  1. #1

    inserting data from a row to a cell, when the row number is specified by a formula in a cell

    in cell H3, I have a match formula that searches my spreadsheet for a
    string of information. when it finds the row with the matching string
    it displays the row number in cell H3 example '63'. In cell C3, I want
    to display the full text that displays in the row specified in cell H3
    '63'. I can do that by simply entering =r63 in the cell C3. I want
    the info to display, what I would like to do is to automate this so I
    do not manually have to enter =R63,for each cell. example of my
    formulas

    in Cell H3 the formula is =MATCH(I2,(Q$1:Q$30001),0) the result is 63
    meaning row 63. in row 63 the text reads 'Byrd Brush'. I want cell C3
    to display the text 'Byrd Brush' with out having to enter =R63, is
    there a formula the will display the description of row 63
    automatically? Thanks, JB

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Melbourne
    I assume from your example that you should be able to use a VLOOKUP to accomplish this since your MATCH type is '0'.

    =VLOOKUP(I2,Q$1:R$30001,2,FALSE)

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: inserting data from a row to a cell, when the row number is specified by a formula in a cell

    One way is to use INDEX()

    Put in C3: =INDEX(R:R,H3)
    where in H3 is: =MATCH(I2,(Q$1:Q$30001),0)

    Perhaps directly,

    Put in C3: =INDEX(R:R,MATCH(I2,(Q$1:Q$30001),0))

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: inserting data from a row to a cell, when the row number is specified by a formula in a cell

    Another play is to try INDIRECT() ?

    Put in C3: =INDIRECT("R"&H3)