Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.

  1. #1
    Marc G
    Guest

    Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.

    I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another
    worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted
    to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather
    than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep
    getting the #REF and #NAME errors.

    Does anyone know how to do this?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name.

  3. #3
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolutec.

    Marc G wrote:
    > I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another
    > worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted
    > to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather
    > than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep
    > getting the #REF and #NAME errors.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to do this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Well, let's first be sure of the facts. You refer to referencing a cell
    by "its row and column label (e.g. 'Jan Sales')". I take it that in fact
    Jan is not a row label but is a column label? And that you have an
    unchanging number of columns, one for each of the 12 months?

    Assuming that is so, consider a table with 3 rows, Sales, Costs and
    PreTaxIncome in A1:M4 a sheet named Sheet1. Highlight A1:M4, click on
    Insert|Name|Create, check Top row and Left Column, click OK. Now in a
    cell on Sheet2 enter =Sheet1!Jan Sales for the value at the intersection
    (and if you don't duplicate the row and column labels on any other sheet
    you can omit the Sheet1! and simply use, e.g., =Jan Sales).

    Then you can recreate the row and column labels each time a row is added

    Alan Beban