[SOLVED] inserting a row between two existing rows

  1. #1
    Jennie
    Guest

    [SOLVED] inserting a row between two existing rows

    I am trying to insert a row between 2 existing rows. When I click on the
    insert button at the top and then rows, it gives me an error dialogue box.
    I am making a spreadsheet for our bookkeeping new for 2005. Previous years
    we've used just the microsoft spreadsheet that came with the computer and I'm
    able to do it with that program but not with excel. Anybody have any
    suggestions for what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong?? Maybe it's in my
    settings somewhere?? I've looked but am unable to find anything.

    Thanks in advance.

    Jennie

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: inserting a row between two existing rows

    Hi Jennie

    what is the error message? - what you're doing seems correct.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jennie
    Guest

    Re: inserting a row between two existing rows

    I knew you were gonna ask me that!! lol!! Okay here it goes:

    "To prevent possible loss of data, MOE cannot shift nonblank cells off the
    worksheet.
    Try to locate the last nonblank cell by pressing control+end and delete or
    clear all in cells between the last cell and the end of your data. Then
    select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset the last cell used."
    "Or you can move the data to a new location and try again"

    So needless to say I am frustrated. I've tried copying an empty row and
    pasting it in between two rows, but of course that doesn't work.
    I know the microsoft spreadsheet actually says 'insert rows', when you click
    on the insert button. But all my excell spreadsheet says is 'rows' it
    doesn't say insert rows. I'm positive this should be a very simple process,
    maybe I just need to do something with my settings or something.

    Thanks!!

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: inserting a row between two existing rows

    Hi Jennie

    try this,
    go to the cell underneath the last column of information you have in your
    workbook and press control & shift & end - this should highlight some of
    your workbook ... ensure that none of your work is selected and then press
    the delete key.

    now try inserting the rows.

    let us know how you go

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: inserting a row between two existing rows

    Jennie

    You may have better luck selecting the row headers and SHIFT + END + DownArrow
    then delete.

    Save the workbook after this step then try the inserting rows part.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Jennie
    Guest

    Re: inserting a row between two existing rows

    Oh my gosh, it so totally worked!!! This is great, you've been a great
    help. Now that I know about this, I'm sure you'll see many more postings
    from me!! Now I'm going to figuire out how to calculate my sales column, if
    I can't I'll be back!!

    Thanks,

    Jennie

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: inserting a row between two existing rows

    Hi Jennie

    glad to hear that it's solved ... i'll look out for future posts from you