I want a running balance like a bank statement

  1. #1
    Roger Campbell
    Guest

    I want a running balance like a bank statement

    how do i set up a spreadsheet so it works like a bank statement?

  2. #2
    Guest

    I want a running balance like a bank statement

    two ways
    1.
    A B C
    1 Type Amount balance
    2 credit 100.00 100.00
    3 Debit 50.00 =If(a3="Debit",b2-b3,b2+b3)
    4 debit 10.00 =If(a4="Debit",b3-b4,b3+b4)

    2.

    A B C
    1 Debit Credit balance
    2 100.00 100.00
    3 50 =if(b3="",a3-b2,b3+b2)
    4 10 =if(b4="",a4-b3,b4+b3)

  3. #3
    Roger Campbell
    Guest

    RE: I want a running balance like a bank statement

    Thanks, but what happens after row 4? Do I have to keep entering the formula
    or will it just carry through? Also I was thinking about a format like
    A B C
    Date Amount+/- Balance
    15jan 100.00 100.00
    16jan -35.00 65.00
    17jan 65.00 130.00

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: I want a running balance like a bank statement

    Roger

    Try this to get the format in your latest example.....

    In C2 enter =B2

    In C3 enter =IF(B3="","",C2+B3)

    Drag/copy the C3 formula down Column C as far as you want.

    To drag/copy hover the mouse pointer over the bottom right corner of C3 where
    you see the black lump.

    You will get a black + sign. Click on that and drag down a bunch of rows.

    If nothing entered in Column B, the cells in C will look blank.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Roger Campbell
    Guest

    Re: I want a running balance like a bank statement

    Gord,

    Thanks for your answer. It works brilliantly.

    Roger