labels in formulas

  1. #1

    labels in formulas

    In going through an Excel course I'm asked to use column labels in a formula.
    I've enabled labels in formulas in the options page. I first set the cells up
    with the normal cell designations for the formula, eg., A1*D1, and all was
    well. When I changed the formula, per lesson instructions, to the column
    labels,=(qty)*(price), the resultant was an astronomicaly large negative
    number. The initial numbers were 20 and 4.85 and the subject cell is in the
    same row. I tried setting up a dummy worksheet using different numbers and
    labels and the same procedure and it worked. Any ideas as to what I may be
    doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: labels in formulas

    It should work just fine, with or without ( ) as
    =qty*price
    where qty & price are named cells
    To name the cell just select and type in a name in the name box to the left
    of the formula box
    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: labels in formulas

    I'm trying to use column labels vs. named cells.

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: labels in formulas

    I, for one, am still not clear what you want. If you named an entire column
    qty and another price and you want to multiply all in the column * all in
    the other column, use the SUMPRODUCT function.
    =SUMPRODUCT(I2:I100*J2:J100)

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: labels in formulas

    Did Price change to capital letters in the formula? Perhaps it's picking
    up a built-in function.

    Use UnitPrice or Prices for the column heading, and it should work as
    expected.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  6. #6

    Re: labels in formulas

    Yes, "price" changed to all upper case. but "qty" changed only the "q" in
    caps. This worksheet is laid out per instructions in a MS Excel '97 course
    book. The intent is to demonstrate using column/row labels in formulas. Named
    cells were previously dealt with. My problem is in this situation it doesn't
    seem to work, getting either a "NAME" message or a huge number.
    I changed "price" to "prices" and it works as advertised. I went into the
    function list and found the PRICE function to be financial one involving
    securities and their maturity. No wonder the strange number!
    I can only surmise that MS has changed that function in the migration from
    '97 to XP which is what I'm using.
    Thanks to both Don and Debra for your help.