computation problems -- formulas

  1. #1
    JRH
    Guest

    computation problems -- formulas

    =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)

    =c12-1

    =SQRT(b16/c13)

    I want to write the above formulas into one single formula but I keep
    getting hung up on subtracting 1 from the cell in c12

    How do I get the cell c12 to subtract the value of 1, so that it becomes the
    new value in the equation but is not changing the actual value in c12?

    Logically:

    I have 200 in cell c12 I want to subtract 1 from c12 so that the value for
    computation becomes 199 and then I sqrt the value in cell b16/c12-1. The
    value in cell c12 remains 200 it does not change I just need to automate
    that whatever number is in c12 would be subtracted by 1 during the
    computation I'm wanting to do this all in one formula

    Help? Any ideas

    Thanks -

    JRH

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Melbourne
    When wanting the value of C12 less 1, reference as follows

    (C12-1)

    The brackets will ensure that, for your example, 199 is returned and C12 is still 200.

  3. #3
    Michael
    Guest

    RE: computation problems -- formulas

    Hi
    Do you mean
    =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/(C12-1))

    HTH
    Michael

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    << Logically:

    I have 200 in cell c12 I want to subtract 1 from c12 so that the value for
    computation becomes 199 and then I sqrt the value in cell b16/c12-1. The
    value in cell c12 remains 200 it does not change I just need to automate
    that whatever number is in c12 would be subtracted by 1 during the
    computation I'm wanting to do this all in one formula

    Help? Any ideas

    Thanks -

    JRH[/QUOTE]

    Is this what you need?

    =sqrt(B16/(C12-1))
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX

  5. #5
    JRH
    Guest

    Re:HELP! computation problems -- formulas

    Close, but I need to take the sum from the calculation
    =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/(C12)) and then sqrt that divided by (c12-1).
    =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)=SQRT(b16/c12-1) . So my question is how do I
    combine all this to happen in one line? Rather then generating the product
    from =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/(C12)) in one cell and then doing another operation
    SQRT(b16/c12-1) in another cell because I have to get that result from the
    initial equation and put it into the second equation.

    Thanks greatly!!

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: HELP! computation problems -- formulas

    one way:

    =SQRT(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)/(C12-1))

    one way to approach this is to enter the intermediate step in another
    cell, say J1:

    J1: =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)
    B16: =SQRT(J1/(C12-1))

    Then copy the formula in J1 after the = sign, and paste it into B16 in
    place of "J1":

    B16: =SQRT(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)/(C12-1))

  7. #7
    JRH
    Guest

    Re: HELP! computation problems -- formulas

    Thanks, but I'm still stuck?????

    =SQRT(E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12)/(C12-1))
    The above result of the above formula does not return the same value as
    splitting the operation into two.

    =E12-(POWER(D12,2)/C12) ---> returns 220
    Now, the above returns 220, I need that 220 to complete the second equation.
    =SQRT(J1/(C12-1)) ---> =sqrt(220/199)
    j1=220
    c12=200

    So, How do I combine the result that is being generated in j1 into the
    equation in the cell j1 to be all on the same line, rather then two lines.

    Thanks -

    JRH

  8. #8
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: HELP! computation problems -- formulas

    What do you mean "combine the result...in j1 into the equation in the
    cell j1"? If the result is already in j1, what are you trying to
    accomplish?