Prerinted forms

  1. #1
    Arthur F. Dunn, M.D.
    Guest

    Prerinted forms

    I am currently using Excel in Office 2000. Is it possible to create a form
    on screen and designate the form labels as non-printing while the data cells
    would print? i.e this would be necessary to use an on-screen form with a
    preprinted form. I can hide the label cells but then they disappear from
    view, defeating the usefulness of the on-screen form. Would a later Excel
    version offer this capability?

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Prerinted forms

    Hi Arthur

    by "on screen form" you do mean a user form (created in vba - insert
    userform) or a worksheet set up like a form - if you could set up a
    worksheet like the form you could have a print macro that selected the cells
    that you wanted to print and then printed them. From a userform, i'm not
    sure how you would do this.

    alternatively, if you are using a userform, you could have code that wrote
    the information entered out to a blank worksheet that had been sized etc for
    printing onto the form. If the sizing & layout was a problem you could
    always (i've not tried this, but can't see any reason it can't be done)
    write the information out to a word table and print it from there.

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:e%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: Prerinted forms

    What you could do is create a special hidden sheet specifically for the
    purpose of printing.
    The hidden sheet is formatted for printing. Any values are formulas
    referencing the onscreen sheet.

    The workbook event BeforePrint could be used to trap and print the hidden
    sheet instead:

    Worksheets("Sheet2").PrintOut

  4. #4
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: Prerinted forms

    I realised shortly after posting that is wasn't quite that straightforward.
    Sorry.

    Assuming your Worksheets are named OnScreen and OffScreen...
    The Workbook Event code should look more like this:

    Static blnScreen_Override As Boolean

    If ActiveSheet Is Worksheets("OnScreen") And Not blnScreen_Override Then
    blnScreen_Override = True
    Cancel = True
    Worksheets("OffScreen").PrintOut
    blnScreen_Override = False

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Prerinted forms

    Hi

    If I understand your setup correctly; you want some worksheet cells
    containing descriptions to be invisible when you print the worksheet to
    paper ? You would need to use the "BeforePrint" macro event for that, and
    that's quite primitive. This is better:

    Put textboxes from the Drawing toolbar over those cells, clear the cells and
    type into the textboxes instead, they are your new labels. Rightclick the
    textbox border and select Format Textbox, pane Properties. Unselect "Print
    object" and select "move and size with cells".

    (Apologies for all the guessing; Forms and Labels come in many variations on
    computers)

    HTH. Best wishes Harald

    "Arthur F. Dunn, M.D." <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:e%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Rob van Gelder
    Guest

    Re: Prerinted forms

    That's a great suggestion Harald - thinking out of the box - I like it.

    news:%[email protected]...