Selecting a large number of rows, but not all

  1. #1
    Katherine
    Guest

    Selecting a large number of rows, but not all

    Hi,

    I have a spreadsheet with almost 10,000 rows that I am going to do a lot of
    sorts and subtotals on. I want to be able to start near the bottom row but
    not the absolute bottom one and and select up to almost the top row but not
    the absolute top. Aside from holding down the left mouse button and waiting
    for it to scroll up all of the rows, is there a shortcut other than "select
    all" to start at one row and have it select everything between that and
    another row in one quick step?

    Thank you,
    Katherine

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Selecting a large number of rows, but not all

    maybe this idea will help. Modify to suit
    Sub rowstoseletct()
    X = InputBox("1st row?")
    y = InputBox("lastrow")
    Rows(X & ":" & y).Select

    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    [email protected]
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Selecting a large number of rows, but not all

    Get familiar with the "Name Box" (left of formula bar).

    Click in starting cell (A1),
    Click in name box,
    Enter ending cell address (Z1000),
    Hold down <Shift> and hit <Enter>

    OR

    Click in name box,
    Enter range (A1:Z1000)
    Hit <Enter>
    --

    HTH,

    RD

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Selecting a large number of rows, but not all

    Katherine

    If you know the start and end points(rows) you can type that range in the Name
    Box at left side of Formula Bar and hit ENTER key.

    i.e. A5:A9982 for one column selection or A5:K9982 for multiple column
    selection.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Selecting a large number of rows, but not all

    Hi Katherine,
    If you want a definite answer you have to ask a very definite question.
    You can use the following macro to take you to the last used cell
    in the current column. The macro starts at the bottom of the column
    and then looks upward to find a non blank cell.

    Sub GotoBottomOfCurrentColumn()
    'Tom Ogilvy 2000-06-26
    Cells(Rows.Count, ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp).Select
    End Sub

    If you want to put that on your toolbar see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/toolbars.htm

    You could then manually fill in the name box as already mentioned
    by choosing the row numbers you actually want to select i.e. 2:9999
    the name box is a the left of the formula bar also as already mentioned.

    Obviously if you gave more information, you could select something
    like the row above that up through to row 2 as in the following modification...
    This macro will look in Column A and will exclude to the row and the
    last row used in Column A.

    Sub AllButTopAndBottom()
    'based on a technique posted 2000-06-26 by Tom Ogilvy
    Range("2:" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(-1, 0).row).Select
    End Sub

    For more information on installng and using a macro see
    ---
    HTH,