how can I subtract the contents of several cells

  1. #1
    whiteteeth
    Guest

    how can I subtract the contents of several cells

    I know that by entering SUM=(b1:d1) in the formula bar, this will add the
    contents of these cells. How can I do this with subtraction without entering
    =(b1-c1-d1)? Thanks!

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: how can I subtract the contents of several cells

    One way:

    =B1-SUM(C1:D1)

    Alternatively, you could array-enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

    =SUM(B1,-C1:D1)

    Note that the second solution won't ignore text.

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: how can I subtract the contents of several cells

    JE McGimpsey wrote...
    >Alternatively, you could array-enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):
    >
    > =SUM(B1,-C1:D1)
    >
    >Note that the second solution won't ignore text.

    =-SUM(-B1,C1:D1)

    will avoid the need for array entry and will only fail to ignore text
    in B1. This is an old (REAL OLD) 123 trick.

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: how can I subtract the contents of several cells

    So old that it should have been second nature to me...