BRACKETED NEGATIVE NUMBERS IN EXCEL

  1. #1
    Bushco
    Guest

    BRACKETED NEGATIVE NUMBERS IN EXCEL

    I have customised a number format in excel to bracket negative numbers.
    However the numbers will not line up with the positive numbers in the same
    column.

    How do I change this? It is essential that they line up as I am producing
    accounts for third parties.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: BRACKETED NEGATIVE NUMBERS IN EXCEL

    Take a look at "about custom formats" in XL Help, specifically spacing.
    Including an underscore followed by a character causes the space
    occupied by that character to be inserted, so one example would be:

    Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0.00_);(0.00)

    which would insert the width of a right paren after the positive number.

  3. #3
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: BRACKETED NEGATIVE NUMBERS IN EXCEL

    If you want to skip custom number formats and have Excel include parened
    negative numbers in its offerings, all you have to do is set the negative
    number style of CURRENCY numbers under Windows Control Panel, Regional
    Settings to use parens.

    --
    Jim Rech
    Excel MVP