Format text across cells

  1. #1
    peterlsutton
    Guest

    Format text across cells

    If I copy a 10 line paragraph of text from the internet and paste it into
    Excel, the text is all placed in a single cell. In Lotus I would then use \
    Range Justify to wrap the text across several columns and down as many lines
    as it needed.

    Edit Fill Justify appears to do the same in Excell but only accepts about
    256 characters and so deletes over half the text. Can you increase this
    limit or is there another way?

    Merging cells aeems to be cumbersome and inflexible. How do you adjust the
    size of the box after you have created it.

    Any ideas would be much appreciated

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    When pasting in the copied text, use Paste Special and choose Text.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Format text across cells

    Peter

    Workaround would be to copy the text into a text box.

    Drawing Toolbar has the Text Box button.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    peterlsutton
    Guest

    Re: Format text across cells

    Many thanks Gord for your speedy reply.

    The problem is that I am not just doing this once, I am pulling a lot of
    information on garden plants ie paragraphs of text and pictures in from the
    internet then editing and reformatting them to produce my own pages on notes
    on a particular plant. In some ways it is more of a desktop publishing job,
    but I find Lotus is so easy to use and so flexible when you are not sure
    what layout you want.

    The main reason I wanted to try Excel is because my Lotus is now over 10
    years old and only uses short file names. I had hoped that a modern Excel
    might have been even better than Lotus. Obviously not.

    Peter

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Format text across cells

    Sounds like MS Word or Publisher may be better suited to your project.

    Excel was never designed to be a Word Processor or Graphics program and those
    features are rudimentary at best compared to other Office Apps.

    Gord