(Sub)totals

  1. #1
    Kwakkel
    Guest

    (Sub)totals

    Hello everybody.
    I have the following problem:
    I have an Excel file with Column B 'Quantity' and column F 'Sector'. Now i
    need to count all the quantities within the same sector
    Sorting + AutoSum isn't an option, since the file has other calculations in
    it as well, that also depend on a sort.
    There's in my Dutch version a function 'DBSUM' and a function
    'TURNTABEL.FETCH' ... these are translated terms, so I don't know if they
    match with English versions ... but could someone please tell me how these
    functions work, since i can't get them right (not by typing everyting
    manually, nor by using Excels 'function input window'.
    So, if you could help me out on one of these 2 functions, OR offer me an
    alternative, i'll be close to eternally gratefull

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: (Sub)totals

    Hi

    see my response under microsoft.public.excel.misc
    you also might like to check out pivot tables
    see
    www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
    for details

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kwakkel
    Guest

    Re: (Sub)totals

    The SUMIFfunction works like a charm. Thanks a lot.
    I think those pivot tables are what i called 'turntabels' ... so i'll check
    out that site as well.
    Thanks again!

    "JulieD" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Kwakkel
    Guest

    Re: (Sub)totals

    I now have the following (similar) problem:

    I still have columns B and F, but also a column S 'Yas Asw Spread'.

    Now i have to make a weighted average from S per sector F.

    So:

    If F2 = 10002, I'd multiply S2 with B2 and divide by the total of column B.

    I thought i'd add the SUMPRODUCT around your SUMIF, but unfortunatly that
    doesn't work.

    Is there any other way i can solve this, preferably without pivot tables,
    since i have to admit, those don't make much sense to me

    Thanks in advance (and keeping my fingers crossed )