converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

  1. #1
    knutsenk
    Guest

    converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

    I tryed following the instructions for converting text to numbers and it
    didn't work.
    I am sure someone has had this problem. Any help appreciated.

    thanks,

    kris

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

    Hi Kris

    Have you try this

    Copy a empty cell
    Select the cells with text values
    Right click on the selection
    Choose Paste Special ..... Add
    OK
    ESC

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

    Kris

    If Ron's method does not do the job, perhaps you have some junk in the cells.

    Extra spaces, non-breaking spaces to name a couple.

    Depends upon where the text is imported from.

    Post back if that is the case.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    knutsenk
    Guest

    Re: converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

    Thanks for the assistance Ron, however that did not work either. I am
    attaching a couple of numbers from the sheet I am trying to convert.

    I tried copying these back from here to the Excel sheet, matching
    destination, and then the multiply solution worked. So I will copy out of the
    worksheet into another application and back again. However, I often need to
    do this so if you have an easier method I am all ears. Thanks in advance for
    your help.

    Kris Knutsen

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

    knut

    Download Chip Pearson's CELLVIEW add-in from

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    Load through Tools>Add-ins.

    Select the data and Chip's add-in will show you what the characters in the
    cells are.

    You may be able to clear them using TRIM or CLEAN.

    Most likely David McRitchie's TRIMALL macro will be of greatest assistance.
    Cleans up what TRIM and CLEAN miss.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: converting copied data to numbers in excel xp

    Sometimes this works.........

    Highlight the column, Data > Text to Columns > Delimited > Next > and
    un-check all delimiters > Finish

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3