How to enter a two line column heading in excel

  1. #1
    Sharon
    Guest

    How to enter a two line column heading in excel

    I am trying to learn excel 2003. How do I enter a two line column heading? I
    don't want a double wide column for a couple digit entry under it, but when I
    hit enter, it of course enters the data into the cell instead of returning to
    the next line as in word processing.
    Also, when I enter a formula that I want to continue in a column through its
    entire length, what characters do I use? Is there a fill down command for
    this?

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How to enter a two line column heading in excel

    Hold Dow the [Alt] key when you press Enter. That will insert a "carriage
    return".

    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    gls858

    Sharon wrote:
    > snip<
    > Also, when I enter a formula that I want to continue in a column through its
    > entire length, what characters do I use? Is there a fill down command for
    > this?

    High lite the cell and put the cursor in the lower right hand corner.
    It will turn into a + drag the + down the column.

    gls858

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How to enter a two line column heading in excel

    or if you have values in the column to the right or left of your formulas,
    simply double clicking on the + will fill the formula down.

    --
    Cheers
    JulieD
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    gls858

    JulieD wrote:
    > or if you have values in the column to the right or left of your formulas,
    > simply double clicking on the + will fill the formula down.

    Learn something new everyday. Didn't know it would do that.
    I'm sure your tip will come in handy. Thanks.

    gls858

  6. #6
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How to enter a two line column heading in excel

    saves HEAPS of time
    (that and the right mouse click drag to do the edit / paste special - values
    thing)

  7. #7
    Sharon

  8. #8
    Sharon
    Guest

    RE: How to enter a two line column heading in excel

    Thanks Ron, that's exactly what I needed
    Sharon

  9. #9
    Sharon
    Guest

    Re: How to enter a two line column heading in excel

    Thanks for the tips!
    Sharon

  10. #10
    Sharon
    Guest

    Re: How to enter a two line column heading in excel

    Thanks for the help!
    Sharon