Subtract several rows from a total

  1. #1
    LMB
    Guest

    Subtract several rows from a total

    Hi Guys,

    I have a total in cell C32. I want to subtract numbers in cells C 34-40 and have the answer in cell C41. I know that =C32-C34 will give me an answer but I want several rows to be subtracted. What would my formula be?

    I have used the insert function feature before but I don't see diff or anything that looks like a subtraction function in there.

    Thanks,
    Linda

  2. #2
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Subtract several rows from a total

    Linda

    =C32-SUM(C34:C40)

    Regards

    Trevor

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Subtract several rows from a total

    Look at the SUM Worksheet Formula

    C41: =C32 - SUM(C34:Offset(C41,-1,0))

    I guess C33 is on a blank row or at least that cell is empty.
    The use of OFFSET(C41,-1,0) instead of C40
    allows you to insert a row before row 41 later that
    would also be subtracted.
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    gls858

    LMB wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have a total in cell C32. I want to subtract numbers in cells C 34-40
    > and have the answer in cell C41. I know that =C32-C34 will give me an
    > answer but I want several rows to be subtracted. What would my formula be?
    >
    > I have used the insert function feature before but I don't see diff or
    > anything that looks like a subtraction function in there.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Linda

    Here's one way..put this in C41

    = C32-(SUM( C34:C40))

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Subtract several rows from a total

    If you gave cell C32 the RangeName "Price", and gave the range C34:C40 the RangeName "Costs", then you could use

    =price-SUM(costs)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3