Trouble with a conditional statement

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    Trouble with a conditional statement

    Hi everyone - hope someone can help.

    I have a form made up for employees to use as a purchase order.

    Depending on the type of purchase order, they are to put an X in either cell
    F7, F8, or F9.

    When the purchase order totals the page, it is then set to figure the
    discount available, based on the type of order specified by the employee.

    The formula I have entered is =IF(F7=X,J23*0.02,J23). What I want the
    formula to do is look at cell F7. If the employee has entered an X in that
    cell, the formula should then take the number in cell J23 and multipyy it by
    ..02. If cell F7 is empty, the formula should return the full value of cell
    J23.

    Excel says that it is looking for a #Name? on the logical test line of the
    formula box.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks
    --
    Jim

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Trouble with a conditional statement

    The X in your formula need to be "X":
    =IF(F7="X",J23*0.02,J23)

    In quotes, Excel treats it as the letter X. Without quotes, Excel is
    looking for a range named X.

    Regards,
    Ron

  3. #3
    Jim
    Guest

    RE: Trouble with a conditional statement

    Thanks Ron.

    That fixed the problem. I knew it had to be something simple, but I sure
    couldn't find the answer in the Help section.

    Jim