Removing "0" from insert

  1. #1
    Kenny Dee
    Guest

    Removing "0" from insert

    I'm using this formula in one of my cells =Sheet2!E2 but if there is no info
    type in from that sheet then my return input is "0" how do I remove the "0"
    from ever appearing, just a blank would be great. I've saw a posting for
    ADDING cells and if a number is not inserted then the return would be 0. and
    they fixed the problem with this type of formula =IF(A1 + B1 = 0,"",A1 +
    B1). How would I uses the with the formula that i'm using from another
    sheet, as mention above?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor mudraker's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,983
    =if(Sheet2!E2=0,"",Sheet2!E2)

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Removing "0" from insert

    2 ways to try ..

    a. Switch off zeros display in the sheet via:
    Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK

    b. Instead of : =Sheet2!B1, use : =IF(Sheet2!B1="","",Sheet2!B1)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Kenny Dee
    Guest

    Re: Removing "0" from insert

    Ok this somewhat works i guess, but what if the cell is a DATE FORMAT. I
    still get a date enter into a cell which has no date to refer to. For an
    exsample:

    Cell A1 I enter and date and in cell B1 i enter this formula =A1+4
    Once a date is enter into A1 04/12/05, in cell A2 and date is entered as
    04/16/05.

    But if no date is enter in A2 then B2 enters a default date. (Which I don't
    want) just a black cell would be fine.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    did you mean "blank" cell instead of "black."
    Anyways, can you say that if cell a1 is blank, give me a blank?
    =IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",A1+4).

    Or do you want it to recognize if it is a date first because a1 could possibly be populated with non-date data?

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Removing "0" from insert

    Try in B1, copied down: =IF(A1="","",A1+4)

    Or, if using in cond format formulas,
    something along the lines of:

    =AND(B1>TODAY(),B1<>"")
    or
    =AND(B1>TODAY(),ISNUMBER(B1))

    instead of just: =B1>TODAY()

    (Above assumes the cond format is to be triggered
    if the date entered / evaluated in col B is a future date)

    The additional conditions:

    B1<>""
    ISNUMBER(B1)

    will help ensure that the evaluated condition
    for empty cells in col B remain FALSE
    --
    Rgds
    Max