Help required - Data - Validation - List - Formula

  1. #1
    amit
    Guest

    Debra Dalgleish <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Perhaps you could enter the formula in an adjacent cell, then refer to
    > that cell in the data validation formula box.
    >
    > amit wrote:
    > > I am trying to generate "Drop down list" using formula.
    > >
    > > The path I am using is :
    > >
    > > Data > Validation ---List ----Formula
    > >
    > > It seems there is limitation on no. of characters, which could be
    > > typed in this FORMULA field.
    > >
    > > Can someone help me in generating the list using someother technic.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your replies.

    Debra,

    Thanks a lot for your reply.

    I tried that but it doesn't help for list of values.

    More specifically:

    I have 12 columns, each containing a list of 100 values (1 value in a
    cell).

    Based on the value of a cell, different from the cells mentioned
    above, in range of 1 to 12 one of the list is to be selected in Drop
    down list (using Data > Validation ---List ----Formula).

    The above mentioned field at the end of path allows only 8
    IF-THEN-ELSE type statements.

    I tried using Index, Match, address functions etc. but I am not able
    to get the solution.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Help required - Data - Validation - List - Formula

    As I replied at your post in microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions:

    It sounds like you could use dependent data validation lists. There are
    instructions here:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List