How do I change date format without losing data?

  1. #1
    ScottNovo
    Guest

    How do I change date format without losing data?

    I have a an Excel worksheet that has about 3,500 birthdates entered. The
    format is if the person was born on january1st of 1960, it would look like
    this: 19600101.
    The program I use to calculate my work needs these formatted in the
    traditional 01/01/1960. How do I get the whole column to change that format?
    I really do not want to retype the whole thing.

    PS -- The cell format is number, (-1234) according to Excel...

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I change date format without losing data?

    Select the column. Choose Data/Text to Columns. Click Next, Next, then
    select the YMD item in the Date dropdown (assuming that your current
    format is YYYYMMDD - your example is ambiguous). Click Finish.

  3. #3
    ScottNovo
    Guest

    Re: How do I change date format without losing data?

    Absolutely phenomenal! Thanks for your help. You have no idea how much time
    and frustration you saved me.