linking data with other workbooks

  1. #1
    franky
    Guest

    linking data with other workbooks

    Hello,

    I have a spreadsheet (FrontEnd.xls) whos cell gets data from another
    spreadsheet using (='C:\junk\[BackEnd.xls]Sheet1'!C3). I then close both
    spreadsheets and open BackEnd.xls and insert a column causing the BackEnd
    data to now be C4. Now when I open the FrontEnd.xls I am asked if I want to
    update the links. After choosing "Yes", the cell is still pointing to
    "'C:\junk\[BackEnd.xls]Sheet1'!C3" rather then to C4. Is there a way to have
    the FrontEnd.xls spreadsheet update cell references that have shifted because
    of insertions or deletion of rows and columns?

    The links work fine in the FrontEnd.xls as long as the BackEnd.xls cells
    dont change.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Re: linking data with other workbooks

    If you don't have many cells you're retrieving, you could give each of the cells
    a nice range name. Then use those range names in your formulas.

  3. #3

    Re: linking data with other workbooks

    In fact, if you have lots, you can use that same idea--it's just more work.