format based on data from another cell

  1. #1
    Sanna R.
    Guest

    format based on data from another cell

    I want the names in column B of my spread sheet to highlight either red or
    yellow based on the value of the cell in column L, but with conditional
    formatting you can only format based on the value of the cell you are
    formatting, as far as i can tell.

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: format based on data from another cell

    Hi Sanna

    conditional formatting can be used to do this,
    select the column B cells that you want the formatting to be applied to,
    ensure that the first selected cell is the first line visible at the top of
    the worksheet
    choose format / conditional formatting
    choose
    formula is
    type
    =$L2=x
    where row 2 is the first row in the selected column and x is the criteria
    that you want to check for
    click format - set your formatting
    click ADD
    repeat for the 2nd condition