new to excel...

  1. #1
    Carlos
    Guest

    new to excel...

    Hi all,

    I am a programmer but have not used excel in a long time...
    I am considering myself a new user, and I just exported
    a couple of sql server tables into excel spreadsheets that
    I need to compile into a report. The data is basically a product
    of a survey from which I need to do summaries and charts.
    The first question is :
    Is there a way to summarize using conditionals? That is, while the
    summary is being done, to have counters for different values?

    The nex is to what is the easiest way to produce a frequency chart
    from value results in a column.

    Thanks, and have a wonderful day.

    Carlos

  2. #2
    Carole O
    Guest

    RE: new to excel...

    Before you start, be aware that importing from sql may include a space in
    each cell (you won't see it, but it might be there) which makes your data
    text, not numberic. After you import, go to a blank cell and key in
    =ISTEXT(C1) - or any cell that has what looks like a number. If it comes
    back TRUE, your date - even though it looks like a number, is viewed by Excel
    as text.

    Try this macro from David McRitchie - it trims the spaces and Excel thinks
    it is numeric (Try the =ISTEXT(C1) again. It should come back FALSE.

    Copy the macro, open up the spreadsheet that has your pasted sql data.
    Right click on the tab, select View Code, paste the macro, and click on run.

    Look for TRIMALL, it's about half way down the page:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm

    Carole O