Some cells do not recognize email address

  1. #1
    Coachstan
    Guest

    Some cells do not recognize email address

    Some of the ceels in my worksheet recognize email addresses so I can click on
    them and send an email. Other cells do not. the format is right. How do a get
    a cell to recognize an email address?

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Some cells do not recognize email address

    Not knowing exactly what you have in those cells, expect they are
    complete email addresses, what version of Excel, and your options
    would suggest the following:

    If you have Excel 2002 (Excel XL) or higher:
    you can suppress hyperlink generation under the Auto Correct from the Tools menu.
    Tools (menu), Autocorrect Options, Autoformat as you type (Tab).
    so you want to do the opposite.

    Next just in case the email addresses have spaces I would try the TRIMALL macro
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/joint.htm#trimall
    it might just recreate the hyperlinks since it will reenter the cells in your selection.
    Essentially in addition to trimming text cells it will act like F2 then Enter

    To generate hyperlinks in each cell based on the current value when run
    Creating Hyperlinks for all Cells in a Selection (#MakeHyperlinks)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...makehyperlinks

    And just to help other that might want to remove current hyperlinks (full circle)
    Removing object hyperlinks from a Cell or cell range (#DelHyperlinks)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#DelHyperlinks

    Please post with your full name. either in your email address or if not
    there in your signature at the end of your posting. It is a lot more friendly
    and professional, and you will be able to find your postings later on by
    searching the newsgroup archives..
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
    ---
    HTH,

    "Coachstan" <[email protected]> wrote...

  3. #3
    coachstan
    Guest

    Re: Some cells do not recognize email address

    Thank you David.

    That was a lot of information for a non-techie like me.
    However, the part about spaces maybe being a problem
    gave me an idea.

    I went into those cells that weren't working properly,
    deleted the first letter, replaced it, hit enter and low and behold,
    the cell works like a true e-mail address.

    Thank you, you are very helpful.

    ~Stan Mann

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Some cells do not recognize email address

    Hi Stan,
    Glad you're back on track.

    If all you did was replace the first letter then F2 then Enter
    would probably have worked as well. But using macros usually make
    things run a lot faster.