[SOLVED] How/can you create absolute values for cell references that have sum(a1:a4)?

  1. #1
    Marc
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How/can you create absolute values for cell references that have sum(a1:a4)?

    Many of my references link to another work sheet and "paste special" gives
    me absolute values but you can't at least that I know of use these easily in
    "sum".

    Marc

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: How/can you create absolute values for cell references that have sum(a1:a4)?

    Hi
    If I understand you correctly (forgive me if I don't!) you can use Copy and
    Paste Special Values on sums in exactly the same way as references. An
    alternative is to select the cell(s) and hit F2, F9, Enter.

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Marc
    Guest

    Re: How/can you create absolute values for cell references that have sum(a1:a4)?

    I'm working on formula on one sheet that reference another sheet. If I use
    sum and I drag the cells I get a1:a4. I can click one each cell
    independently and get a1+a2+a3+a4 but none of these are absolute. I've
    tried using paste special but it kicks me out of the original formula. I
    have spent to much time trying to make sure the values are absolute.

    Marc

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: How/can you create absolute values for cell references that have sum(a1:a4)?

    Marc,

    Press F4 when your cursor is on (or next to) the range address in the
    formula bar.

    Subsequent presses of F4 will rotate through the available reference styles.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Marc
    Guest

    Re: How/can you create absolute values for cell references that have sum(a1:a4)?

    THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. That has been drving me crazy!!!

    Marc

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    zackb
    Guest

    Re: How/can you create absolute values for cell references that have sum(a1:a4)?

    Note that it is dependent upon only where your cursor is located. If you
    select two addresses (either a Union or an Intersect) and press F4 (even
    partial selections count) then all said ranges will be converted to the
    cycle of Absolute/Relative (Relative | Absolute | Row Absolute | Col
    Absolute).

    Regards,
    Zack Barresse